pulling stumps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtB

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Anyone ever heard or tried the 'one pull a day on a comealong" to pull big stumps? Old friend told me of this and we tried it hooking together a 5 ft dia and 7 ft dia DFir stumps (logged in 1917) about 15 ft apart (>800 YO when cut by ring count still unrotted, still solid wood in center lower part of stump nearly 90 years later) , used triple block 6 ton roller chain comealong with 3/4 cable and one wire rope block in addition to the comealong, no movement in a month with over 25,000# constant force, could not pull comealong any tighter after about a week.
Any rules of thumb for size vs pulling by this supposed 'old time foolproof' method. Will let the grandkids dig'em out with the JD 440 when they are a little older. Should have blown them in late 60's when dynamite could still be openly purchased and there were no housing developments around. Have easily pulled 2 ft dia fir with 50,000# dozer at 4 ft stump height, thinking there is a square or cube law for stump resistance.

That's a bigun.I would say that all 3 of my D4's wouldn't budge them.A big ole Cat 245 excavater would,though.

Hey Al, note you are a collector, are your D4s oldies? Had a 4 digit S/N D2 years ago but sold it as the pony engine required constant work and magneto drying/disassembly if not run every other day.

I've got one with seriel number 2T31.That is very early 1943 .As a point of interest,this machine has a lot of steel parts,due to the war effort that does a 1946 ,5T series I also have,uses brass .

Back