pulp hooks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRCONRAN

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have never noticed anyone mention pulp hooks for moving firewood blocks around their splitter. I keep a couple of them near the splitter and I would never be with out them. Anyone else using them? One other thing, fellow stops by the shop today to buy some firewood. He says his wife calls him at work, says it's getting cold in here wants him to come home and put wood in the stove. He says put it in there yourself I'm at work! LOL!!! I asked him why can a woman carry a 25 pound baby on her hip for an hour or more at a time but she can't pick up a 5lb peice of wood and get it into the stove!

I use a hookaroon all the time. Keep from having to bend over to reach wood. My hands rarely touch the wood itself while splitting. May have to try a pulp hook sometime.

People here in the North Dakota have never heard of one or seen one. I grew up using pulp hooks in Maine, cutting wood to be hauled to the mill (papermill). It was usually 4ft. pieces that were cut and hauled, using a pulp hook was a necessity. Not many mills take 4ft pulp anymore. Mostly the trees are cut and chipped whole into a truck and hauled to the mill as chips. So pulp hooks are not being used near as much as they used to be years ago. I have several pulp hooks that I use in my own tree business here. There is a little bit of a learning curve to using one. Most people find them kind of awkward because they haven't used one. But once you have learned to use one, you can move a lot more wood and bigger pieces than you can without.

Pics please?
Are these like farm bale hooks?
The purchased bale hooks with big handles and curved points were worthless, but we make them with striaghter points and shanks and narrow handle for way better control.

k

Yep thats exactly what pulp hooks are, nothing more than heavier built bale hooks.
1485_w2.jpg

I use a hookaroon all the time. Keep from having to bend over to reach wood. My hands rarely touch the wood itself while splitting. May have to try a pulp hook sometime.

Yep got to have it!:clap: I have a hook and a pickeroon on my splitter. The pickeroon though, is the go too tool. It hooks over a cradle arm on the side of the splitter just under the beam and it's become automatic to grab it after the last split and snag the next piece. Much easier on the back IMO. Pulp hooks are handy too but i use mine more in the woods cutting and bucking.:greenchainsaw: For those unfamiliar I've attached a pick/hookeroon head. The handle is just a short axe handle.

Last edited:
I have never tried the pickroon. I should pick one up and see if I like it better or not. Thanks for the good ideas guys.

--- (Pulphooks) Greatest & most versatile (as well as underused) tool available out there for wood splitters-------- if you don't have a log lift, one in each hand makes lifting those big cookies a lot easier and safer for your fingers

--Woodrat

Last edited:
Yep got to have it!:clap: I have a hook and a pickeroon on my splitter. The pickeroon though, is the go too tool. It hooks over a cradle arm on the side of the splitter just under the beam and it's become automatic to grab it after the last split and snag the next piece. Much easier on the back IMO. Pulp hooks are handy too but i use mine more in the woods cutting and bucking.:greenchainsaw: For those unfamiliar I've attached a pick/hookeroon head. The handle is just a short axe handle.

People here in the North Dakota have never heard of one or seen one. I grew up using pulp hooks in Maine, cutting wood to be hauled to the mill (papermill). It was usually 4ft. pieces that were cut and hauled, using a pulp hook was a necessity. Not many mills take 4ft pulp anymore. Mostly the trees are cut and chipped whole into a truck and hauled to the mill as chips. So pulp hooks are not being used near as much as they used to be years ago. I have several pulp hooks that I use in my own tree business here. There is a little bit of a learning curve to using one. Most people find them kind of awkward because they haven't used one. But once you have learned to use one, you can move a lot more wood and bigger pieces than you can without.

What men we are Downeast !! :clap: :clap:
Pulp hooks are at least below the OSHA radar. They aren't like bale hooks at all ---the business end is a dull square "point" meant to stick into the butt end of a log then able to be let go when throwing the log or butt. Can be dangerous if you're not thinking: miss the log, hit your crotch. :cheers: You only do that once a lifetime here.:cry: :cry:

They are like bale hooks if you look at the shape, they might not be the same type of steel or hook point but they are similar to the untrained eye.

They are like bale hooks if you look at the shape, they might not be the same type of steel or hook point but they are similar to the untrained eye.

The untrained don't use pulp hooks. Kind of like comparing a balloon and a condom......no ? Different functions. Similar shape. Choice ? :monkey: :censored:

I've been using hand held skidding tongs, these things are the cats meow.

19794_lg.gif

They come in a couple of different sizes.

I've been using hand held skidding tongs, these things are the cats meow.

19794_lg.gif

They come in a couple of different sizes.

Now that looks like a tool I would add to the kit. I was going to add a pickaroon for Xmas but somehow that morphed into a $1100 snow blower. Needless to say, I don't think I am allowed to use the 'card' for awhile ;)

Harry K

Like I said, they are irreplaceable, don't get me wrong, you might cringe at the price tag on what seems to be such a simple tool, but as far as I am concerned, they are just like the $40 Fiskars splitting axe - worth their weight in gold.

I'd be lost without my pulphook. I cut all my wood into 4' lengths because that's the length I split them. Then I stack it and cut each piece twice with a saw rig and throw into truck for delivery. MUCH easier to pick up 4' lengths with the hook. Just don't miss and hit your ankle on a cold day....done that a couple of times.

Latest posts

Back