Purchased a Uniforest 50E log winch for my Kubota L5030

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modn

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I purchased it a week ago and hooked it up that day and waited for the weekend to give it its first workout. It seems perfect size for my Tractor and I didn't want the "I wish i went bigger" problem. So I found a down top part of a tree which was junk, but figured i would give it a try just to get myself familiar with it. The part of the tree was 18-20" for about 12' then forked into 2-12"/- limbs and it was Maple and punky in the middle, just beyond burnable. I took the cable about 150' in and hooked the choker up and walked back to the tractor and had it at an idle. I pulled the rope all I could and the winch didn't pull it!! I raised the rpms and still wouldn't pull it.....needless to say I wasn't impressed, but did smell faint clutch. I went back in and cut where the forks joined and it had no problem pulling that or the 2 forks together. I went away with my pride in shambles. I re-ajusted the clutch thinking maybe it needed more. I hooked on to a blow down 20" poplar just behind the house. I cut the stump off and didn't bother to limb it as I figured It would rip it right out then limb it.......same thing....it was stopped dead in its tracks. On both trees it would bury the plate but it surely didn't toss around the tractor like I've heard some say....am I honestly expecting too much from this? Is 11,000 lb capacity a lot smaller than I envision? I was pulling from the top pully, would the bottom one help it? These trees were not hung up, but I admit the 2nd one had limbs (live) still on it laying in brush, but not against anything substantial. The directions are horrible about clutch adjustment, but it's not rocket science. Maybe I'm missing something???

I have a Fransgard V-4000 (8800lb pull) on my Kubota L3830. It will definitely move the tractor in a very hard pull (the plate digs in like crazy also). The top pulley will put more downforce on the blade, but tends to stress your top link more. The lower pulley distributes the pulling force more evenly across all three attachment points.
In a real hard pull, the winch will even stall the tractor. It sounds to me like you have a problem. Especially if you are smelling clutch. I would try adjusting the clutch further (tighter).

I have a Fransgard V-4000 (8800lb pull) on my Kubota L3830. It will definitely move the tractor in a very hard pull (the plate digs in like crazy also). The top pulley will put more downforce on the blade, but tends to stress your top link more. The lower pulley distributes the pulling force more evenly across all three attachment points.
In a real hard pull, the winch will even stall the tractor. It sounds to me like you have a problem. Especially if you are smelling clutch. I would try adjusting the clutch further (tighter).

Should it typically stall the tractor rather than slip the clutch? I snatched the rope as quick as possible to engage quickly rather than ease into it. Is this the way, as I assume it is.

Hard to say. You have 12 more HP than I do, but I would still expect the tractor to at least bog down some under a hard pull. Try running your engine at (near) idle and pull something heavy. See if the clutch still slips. Also, try to choke your logs so that the log is "rolled" a little as you start the pull. This helps to overcome the "stationary" inertia/ friction of the log. It works....

That is a good idea on getting the log to roll as it makes sense. I've been talking to my dealer and the conclusion is that my clutch is out of adjustment. I will adjust it tonight and maybe give it a whirl this weekend....if it doesn't rain!!

Definitely sounds like a possible clutch issue. These winches are scary powerful. Last night I was using mine to fall a leaner in a different direction. I used a pulley on another tree (12" ash tree) to change my direction of pull. The leaner was way heavier than expected and the winch ended up pulling the ash tree completely over (fast). I couldn't believe it.

I'm just curious as to the results of the clutch adjustment. Is it pulling like it should?

Sorry, never got out this weekend with it. Went out with my 4 wheeler and it is way too wet to go back into the woods. I will give a report as soon as I get to use it as I'm itching to find out myself!!

Sorry, never got out this weekend with it. Went out with my 4 wheeler and it is way too wet to go back into the woods. I will give a report as soon as I get to use it as I'm itching to find out myself!!

Thanks for checking back in. I hope all is well with it once you are able to get out to cut. From what I read and hear, those winches should be able to pull more than what you described. It sounded like a clutch adjustment issue. Also, you're tractor has more than enough snot for the winch to be used at its full potential.

Have to agree with the other posts. Something not adjusted correctly. I have the Uniforest 60EH on my 90 hp John Deere and it has pulled anything that I have hooked up to it including big red/white oaks and hickories without having to to "rev" it up much. Will agree that the Uniforest instruction manual leaves a lot to be desired. I would definitely make a call to Hud-son and talk directly with their technical people as they helped answer some questions on my winch when I bought it last fall.

Well I finally got a chance to try it out after adjusting the clutch in the spring. This thing is an animal now that it is adjusted right. It will dig in and I've stalled the tractor a couple of times, which is better than it slipping like before. Totally happy with it now!!:rock: It now works like everyone, including myself, thought it should!!

Last edited:
Back