Put a van in the ditch on Dec 7th. Back and neck haven't been the same since!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_IN_MN

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi guys. Many of you are following my wood cutting thread (see sig for link). I didn't get out as much as I could have or should have. Now, the wood supply is running low and I can't cut because I put a van in the ditch on Dec 7th and my back and neck haven't been the same since.

I hit ice and the van went on it's side down the bank of the ditch. When it got to the other side, it popped back on to it's wheels. Well, I was wearing my seat belt and that saved me from getting thrown out or banged and cut up. However, my lower back and neck took a beating because my hips were held stationary with the belt, but my upper body thrashed around a bit. I was able to walk away from it, thank God! I got a very expensive rough ride to the ER on a backboard and in a neck brace and found I have a compression fracture on my T12.

I'm getting better, but not in time to get some wood out of the woods. I can't do anything for very long. That includes using a saw, picking up firewood and splitting. I would make an excellent supervisor! :hmm3grin2orange: Oh, I can drive. I can't pick up my little soon to be 5 year old who is ~ 40 lbs without paying for it later. :msp_mad: I have no idea of when I'll be back to "normal"! (what ever that is! :hmm3grin2orange:) I hate being hurt!

A few guys have expressed interest in giving me a hand cutting and hauling. (thank you!) I know many hands make light(er) work. I was a little hesitant to start a thread on my behalf, but I decided to so guys could coordinated their efforts and have a mini wood cutting event. I do have a source for dead fall so the wood is there. :clap:

The sad part is the van I totaled wasn't mine! I was working on it for a friend and was bringing it back to him. Wind, ice, going too fast, and being rear wheel drive all contributed to things. The great thing is they're still our friends! However they're out of a van. I would like to replace it for them.

Thanks for reading and all of your positive comments so far in the other thread!

I feel for ya, I was rear ended at 50 mph on Dec. 20th last year at a stop. My forehead struck the wheel and my neck got messed up. I was caught up on wood used until the accident. My problems were cold weather and migraines. I'm getting better now because I've been taking it easy so I heal, but I've fallen behind on wood. Take things easy and don't rush them, I know I'm not. I need to get back out and see how my body handles things, especially before I settle. Good luck, and hope things get better!

What happened to the van carcass? If they still have it, best bet is total disassembly and part it out. They might could make enough to at least get some sort of running minivan or something.

What happened to the van carcass? If they still have it, best bet is total disassembly and part it out. They might could make enough to at least get some sort of running minivan or something.

It was scrapped. It would have been up to me to do that type of work. There was no way I could have parted out a van. I had found a replacement van on CL that needed a trannie. The timing wasn't there.

There was a thread started for me in the chainsaw forum. http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/229335.htm#post4166671

Thanks guys!:msp_thumbup:

It was scrapped. It would have been up to me to do that type of work. There was no way I could have parted out a van. I had found a replacement van on CL that needed a trannie. The timing wasn't there.

There was a thread started for me in the chainsaw forum. http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/229335.htm#post4166671

Thanks guys!:msp_thumbup:

Ha, I was the instigator! Its another thread, that I posted pointing at your original post, but that is the official one now. Good luck man, bet you get a heap 0 wood!

Hope you get better soon!

Seems like your GTG is going to be great, wish I could help. But you already have a nice crew (the other thread), you'll have a lot of free time the coming years if all those guys start their saws! ;)

Dan based on the thread in the chainsaw forum you might get a couple years ahead. Hope your stove likes cookies!

Bummmmmp, lets get some firewood forum folks over there!

Latest posts

Back