Put the $24 Tach through its paces today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut4fun said:
Lake and Thall, wouldnt you go by the plug color of the saw too, like in the 066's case it is tan-biege color, looks like it is burning perfect to me, but has the high rpms. With just a trace of fine black dust like in the exhaust port.

OK, starting to miss the ole barn. Started to rain after only 2 saws run and cut tested. Grrrr. The 305 was at 13,070 rpms and the 3750 was at 13,120 rpms, nice tan-biege plug color too. So i am there by ear tuning. Just didnt sound like they were turning the rpms that the others were. Different sounding muffler roar, i guess.

Cut plug color does tend to show whether your mix is about right but I'm not so sure it shows anything to do with excessive rpms. Not saying your saw is on its way to destruction because I'll be the first to admit I know little about modded saws and how they run. I will agree with Lake though, the rod bearing on the crank and the crank itself have got to be stressed well beyond what it was designed to take. Since your saw has been running like that for sometime it must be one tuff mother...

Cool and interesting thread gents!

Thats IT! I'm gonna bite da bullet and mod my 08s, drill da muffler, polish da ports, replace da 10yr old plug, splash in some AVgas, chrome da bar, square cut da chain, fill it with veggi oil, man, I oughta turn 8k easy!!!!! :p

*sigh* just jealous I don't have a saw ta blow up I guess *sigh*

nother *sigh*, couldn't afford to anyhow (in an Eyore-ish voice)

:) :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Cut4fun said:
Lake and Thall, wouldnt you go by the plug color of the saw too, like in the 066's case it is tan-biege color, looks like it is burning perfect to me, but has the high rpms. With just a trace of fine black dust like in the exhaust port.

OK, starting to miss the ole barn. Started to rain after only 2 saws run and cut tested. Grrrr. The 305 was at 13,070 rpms and the 3750 was at 13,120 rpms, nice tan-biege plug color too. So i am there by ear tuning. Just didnt sound like they were turning the rpms that the others were. Different sounding muffler roar, i guess.

Sorry... I pretty much ignore plug color (on my saws)- In fact I rarely take mine out to see what it is!

Plug color has nothing to do with whether your engine is getting sufficient cooling, lube, or can take the stresses you are putting on it. If all you want is a few races, none of this matters - crank that baby up, but if you want a saw that can last... then you know what you have to do.. I can crank my 066 (stock) up over 15k too, but I don't.

Heck, what's the life of a racing bike or formula 1 engine???? You want that? if so, I real happy to sell you the parts.

How critical is outside temp?

Do you guys tach your saw in winter and summer? I put the Pocket Tach on my MS310 when it was like 55 degrees and it varied close to 2800 RPM-factory spec. I put the tach on it Sat when it was like 30-35 degrees and ranged from 3100-3300. I didn't think the cooler, more dense air would raise the rpms that much. Is my tach screwed up or is this really possible?

Cut, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Taching you saw too much is like checking you blood pressure 20 times a day... It will be all over the map... day to day.. ;)

As for idle - if it's idling o.k. and the chain isn't running, it's fine...

Thanks for info, lake and thall. Thats what i was wondering.
Think I will back it off for the long cuts and juice it for the cookie cutting.
Plus next top end will be the BB 066 kit that pushes 98cc-99cc.

outdoortype said:
Do you guys tach your saw in winter and summer? I put the Pocket Tach on my MS310 when it was like 55 degrees and it varied close to 2800 RPM-factory spec. I put the tach on it Sat when it was like 30-35 degrees and ranged from 3100-3300. I didn't think the cooler, more dense air would raise the rpms that much. Is my tach screwed up or is this really possible?

Taching you saw too much is like checking you blood pressure 20 times a day... It will be all over the map... day to day..

How does that reply answer outdoors question? My 066 was running like a top the other day milling, too. I was wondering whether it was the weather. I had running like you said, Lake, for milling(low rpm). But for no reason it was running great with no sputtering(high rpm). The only differance was the temp. That is why I was happy cut4 put this thread up. I needed something just like that link to me to get a tach. Your my hero, cut. Now, Lake,:confused: how about it can the rpm's be that different according to the air temperature?

Adrpk said:
Taching you saw too much is like checking you blood pressure 20 times a day... It will be all over the map... day to day..

How does that reply answer outdoors question? My 066 was running like a top the other day milling, too. I was wondering whether it was the weather. I had running like you said, Lake, for milling(low rpm). But for no reason it was running great with no sputtering(high rpm). The only differance was the temp. That is why I was happy cut4 put this thread up. I needed something just like that link to me to get a tach. Your my hero, cut. Now, Lake,:confused: how about it can the rpm's be that different according to the air temperature?

And then maybe someone can tell me how to get two quotes on one post?:help:

Well.. I skipped over your question because I notice the same thing myself from time to time and mostly ignore it.

It may not just be just temperature - It could be barometric pressure (more likely), humidity, fuel or whatever. Could even depend on how much moisture is condensing on your filter, or how close you are to carb icing... can happen WAY above freezing.. Not really sure.....

Now... for a question I can answer. To do multiple quotes in page you justs need to edit the HTML tags. [ q u o t e ] starts a block (no spaces inside like I'm showing); [ / q u o t e ] ends a block... Hey, you can even "misquote", not that anyone would dare to do that on AS:biggrinbounce2:

Adrpk said:
And then maybe someone can tell me how to get two quotes on one post?:help:
Just hit your edit button I think and add each quote as per quote marks, that is I believe
something
making sure there isn't a space on the inside brackets. Testin' here>
something
, if this works then I'm sortta got it. :D

edit, kk, my bad, a space doesn't matter lol, there ya go mate!!
You may have to type in what you want to add btw, but it'll work.
[ no space QUOTE no space] message [/ no space QUOTE nospace ] , hm, Lucy! Not 'splainin' so good!

:)

Last edited:
Hey Cut

This is what your 066 will look like if you keep it up there!

Genuine red-light 066 cylinder - cheap...

attachment.php

outdoortype said:

It is absolutely possible, cold dense air leans it out without a doubt.

You may already know this, but I'll mention it anyway.
Take a modern vehicle for instance, and track your gas mileage year round. You will see a small but definitely noticeable gas mileage decrease if you live where it gets cold. The reason is, modern computerized vehicles control/maintain the air/fuel ratio at a constant level. In the winter, the on board computer compensates for the dense air by injecting more fuel to keep the ratio constant. And Lake is right, pressure also makes a difference as well, which is why modern vehicles also have barometric pressure sensors. Matter of fact, I was just reading the OBDII codes in my truck tonight and was looking at the barometric pressure. BTW - misfire on cyl 7, $63 for a new COP and it's back on the road ;)

So, a saw has no means of auto compensating, so it has no choice but to run lean and wait on you to do the manual adjustment;)

Havent compared to the friends stihl tach yet. But came up with a idea on how to test and see how accurate it was. My 7900 has a rev limiter in it at 13,500k. I put the tach on it hit the rev limiter and it would back off to 12,600k real quick. Then i set it to run at 13,330k out of the wood. So it must be pretty darn close for a $24 tach. :biggrinbounce2:

Cut4fun said:
Havent compared to the friends stihl tach yet. But came up with a idea on how to test and see how accurate it was. My 7900 has a rev limiter in it at 13,500k. I put the tach on it hit the rev limiter and it would back off to 12,600k real quick. Then i set it to run at 13,330k out of the wood. So it must be pretty darn close for a $24 tach. :biggrinbounce2:

I am not sure how close the cutoff range is on rev limiters. I have seen numbers on my tach on saws lightly above what the rev limiter was supposedly set for. I've compared my tach with a couple of other dealer tachs and they read exactly the same, so I have no reason to so far suspect my tach. So if the rev limiter is speced to 13500, what is the margin on the limiter?

In other words, how far might a coil be off in where it actually cuts off rpm?

Last edited:
Lakeside? WTH happened

Man it looks like somebody took a sledge hammer and knocked the cylinder off the base on that RL 066. What happened?

The early 066 cylinder were not a world different from the 064 - just bigger bore with 6mm bolts instead of 5mm. They used a similar base gasket - 0.5mm paper...

Lot's of stress on that cylinder - 6mm bolts weren't enough

The paper gaskets packs down, the cylinder screws get loose, and the cylinder starts to flex... and breaks just like shown.

They updated the cylinder early in 1994 with MUCH thicker mount bosses, and longer bolts.

Later in 1994 they went to a steel gasket (it actually has a 2 thou rubber coating on both sides, but you wouldn't know by looking). The steel gasket doesn't pack. The upgrade to the gasket also applied to the 064.

If the big bore kits don't have steel gaskets, they are taking a step backwards..

American Made...Yes

Cut4fun said:
If you buy 3 or more you get 40% off and shipping is free. But i would guess you will have to pay for shipping.
I am going to test it against a friends stihl tach soon to see how accurate it is. Seems ok. Suppose to go to 24K too. Will post a link to the company for you. I mounted mine in a 4"x6" piece of wood panel for easy handling.
http://enmco.thomasnet.com/item/enm...?&plpver=1001&origin=keyword&by=prod&filter=0

Free shipping regardless of how many units purchased, provided you use a credit card over the internet on their site. $14.40 each, if you order 3 or more. What a great stocking stuffer. Only about 30 left...make that 27.
I wonder if my wife would like one?

Elmore said:
Free shipping regardless of how many units purchased, provided you use a credit card over the internet on their site. $14.40 each, if you order 3 or more. What a great stocking stuffer. Only about 30 left...make that 27.
I wonder if my wife would like one?

I would buy one.

If anyone wanted to score the buy 3 price, but didn't need 3 , I would buy one from them.

Back