Put the $24 Tach through its paces today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ShoerFast said:
On the phone as I type, with Ultra,he is getting 4, should he get 5?

Tell him it doesn't work on his battery operated tools.

classic_vibrators_section.jpg

Sold! I am curious to see where my 12 year old 026 is at. The owner's manual states 13,000 as max, seem appropriate?

04ultra said:
Will be interesting to see how accurate they are .

Me and couple of persons on a Swedish forum ordered three of them, we tested them on the same saw and at least they were consistent in their readings !
but for accuracy i don't know, got to take the saw to my dealer and check it out with theirs.

SWE#Kipp said:
Me and couple of persons on a Swedish forum ordered three of them, we tested them on the same saw and at least they were consistent in their readings !
but for accuracy i don't know, got to take the saw to my dealer and check it out with theirs.

I will check it against both my Stihl tach's ...

04ultra said:
Will be interesting to see how accurate they are .

Mine turned out dead on accurate. My 7900 hits the rev limiter at 13,500. At that point it would retard to 12,600 cutting out.
I then reset it to 13,330 for now. Dead on hitting limiter.

I did learn one thing on it. It is groundless ok, but there is a ground area pin on the back, on the top right of the hook up. If you put your finger on the ground pin it seems to read quicker.
But hey what do you want from a $24 throw away tach, i feel I already got my monies worth taching about 9 saws that I had tuned by ear.

Last edited:
04ultra said:
$14.00 each throw away tach...... Throw one in the tool box on our skidder good to go...If somebody steals it not a big loss...

Also I would strip alittle more wire coating off. Just to give you enough bare wire to twist around the sparkpug wire tightly, at least i did and it held on better.

Well I couldn't stand it any longer. I ordered 3 and will give one to my dad for his cheap bday present.

I just cleaned my 359 and sharpened the chain and I wanted to do a quick check using the $24 tach..... Since I have had it it takes well over 25 seconds to top out. I have tried to strip more wire and looped the wire around the spark plug wire along with holding my finger on the back ground spot with no better performance. I am twisting the tach wire about midway on the spark plug wire and I was wondering if I was doing something wrong as other have indicated it takes around 10-15 seconds to read. Any help would be appreciated....maybe I should get another one or send it back..

Last edited:
Just compared it to a stihl 303. Boy that tach reads fast. The cheapie tach is just slow to read. I blip the throttle to keep from holding WOT, then when it gets near I crack it and get my final reading. After using the stihl 303 today, I do see where I am going to get a faster reading tach for the modded saws.
I will try and time it with a watch next time to see how long. mine seems 10-15 secs, the way i describe above.

Cut4fun said:
Just compared it to a stihl 303. Boy that tach reads fast. The cheapie tach is just slow to read. I blip the throttle to keep from holding WOT, then when it gets near I crack it and get my final reading. After using the stihl 303 today, I do see where I am going to get a faster reading tach for the modded saws.
I will try and time it with a watch next time to see how long. mine seems 10-15 secs, the way i describe above.

I was wondering about that Cut. A saw isn't meant to be held wide open for 15 - 20 seconds to get a reading off a tach. I personally never hold a saw wide open that long. The way I use my tach is to hold it between my fingers and let it get a reading while the saw is idling. Then I rev the saw up to get a mid range reading around 7-8,000 r's and then hit it wide open. The whole process takes only take 3-4 seconds at most and at wide open its only there for a second to get the reading and back to idle.

I had a guy that worked with me once and he took a new saw and was checking the RPM's while the customer that bought it stood there. He held that thing wide open for like 10-15 seconds and the customer raised hell, can't blame him. After the customer left I raised hell telling the boy ya never hold a saw open that long, especailly with the man that bought it standing there. He goes oh. I got him striaghten out on it by merely saying would you want him to do that to your saw. The ole boy understood and never did it again. People are touchy about their saws, especailly when they just bought it..

Back