Puzzled

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blly8325

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Greetings to everyone.. Well I don't know if I'm on the right forum, but besides the chainsaws I own I recently was given a lawn tractor which a customer gave me in exchange for a job I did for him ( LAST TIME I DO THAT)Yes this is a guy I work with so I can't be too pissed. The tractor is a Troy Bilt LTX 1842 OHV. Briggs Intek 18 hp.The problem is that the engines flywheel moves 180 deg. but then stops. I expect that a retaining pin or clip has come off from the crank and only the piston will move until it hits the crank. Any input would be greatly appreciated before I open the case up. I've repaired a few blown chainsaws but this 4 stroker is a little above my head. Thanks in advance. Any direction would be great thank you.

Doesn't sound too flash. The number of the degrees (180) implies a single or two cylinder engine with the piston hitting something at the top of the stroke (like the head, valves, a piece of the rings, or just the compression). Have you tried taking the spark plug(s) (asssuming this is a gas not a diesel engine) out and turing it over listening for any bad noises?, Good luck!, Mark

Doesn't sound too flash. The number of the degrees (180) implies a single or two cylinder engine with the piston hitting something at the top of the stroke (like the head, valves, a piece of the rings, or just the compression). Have you tried taking the spark plug(s) (asssuming this is a gas not a diesel engine) out and turing it over listening for any bad noises?, Good luck!, Mark

No I haven't tried that but i'll do that next. The piston seems to be moving fine. But it's definetely hitting something. I forsee myself opening up the case just to see. But family life and moving to a new residence and the honey do list just keeps on getting longer!!:dizzy: Thanks for your reply Sting

Latest posts

Back