Question about a husqvarna 50 in the paper?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncvarmint

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
There is a husqvarna 50 for sale locally. He is asking $75 for it and said he might can do better. But said the saw will start and is hard to start , but won't stay running, he said a local repair shop said it had a bad coil, what do you guys think, i want to offer him between $50 and $60 for it if it wont be costly to fix. He said it was in good shape cosmetically and he bought it when it first came out, and have not used in a long time
thanks

husky 50

I have two Husky 50s, one found stuck in a tree 24 years ago. Best saw I ever owned. If you dont want that one sell it to me. I can always use parts saws.
It sounds like a carb cleanup problem, but lots of parts on Ebay for them. Sitting with gas in the tank is VERY hard on a saw.

I have two Husky 50s, one found stuck in a tree 24 years ago. Best saw I ever owned. If you dont want that one sell it to me. I can always use parts saws.
It sounds like a carb cleanup problem, but lots of parts on Ebay for them. Sitting with gas in the tank is VERY hard on a saw.

Okay.....VERY INTERESTING! What did you do to get out? How do you know someone wasn't coming back for it?

thanks guys, also could a bad coil be the problem by any chance, or would it not even start?
trevor

A bad coil can have many symptoms including hard starting and intermittent running issues, but I would eliminate some others possibilities before replacing the coil. This series of saw was notorious for needing fuel lines replaced, it is just a straight piece of regular 1/8x3/16 line, which could also cause hard starting. The model 50 is also known for having some issues with the choke system. There is a lever on the air box that pushes the filter down against the intake, sometimes the filter loses some of it's springiness and it allows the incoming air to suck the filter down into the choked position. If the seller will allow it you may want to pull the muffler for a good look at the piston/cylinder, all you will need is a 8mm or 5/16 wrench and there is one bolt and two nuts to remove.

EDIT:
Something else to check is the rubber intake boot and impulse grommet because they can also cause hard starting.

Okay.....VERY INTERESTING! What did you do to get out? How do you know someone wasn't coming back for it?

He explained the story better in another thread. He was cutting wood on the guy's property, found the saw and was told to take it if he could get it out of the tree.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good deal to me, and there are plenty of parts floating around for them too.

He explained the story better in another thread. He was cutting wood on the guy's property, found the saw and was told to take it if he could get it out of the tree.

Recently found two interesting things in the same tree on a woodlot were were cutting in ... 1) A 10' section of fire escape ladder hanging 20' up in an Oak. No guess how it got there, neither did the landowner. 2) An aged large come-along at the base of the same tree. My saw found the cable .. IN that tree.

called him and he said it would not start, i offered him $50 and he said he would take it, so i am going in the morning to look at it
trevor

I love them blue ridge mountains. That waterfall in Dupont is the best swimming hole ever....good luck with the saw...

Got the saw today for $50. It is in great shape and appears to have not been used much. I pulled the muffler off and the piston looks brand new, and the saw has lots of compression. I put the plug againts the cylinder and saw no spark. The saw does have a toggle switch on it, must have broke the factory one or something. Will the saw produce spark if the switch is bad. It did not sound like it was wanting to fire or turn over. I need any help i can get
trevor

Congrats on getting the saw!

If the switch is bad or the ground circuit is otherwise being completed, you will never see any spark.

I'd remove the switch, tape over the wire ends and re-try.

Yeah man get that toggle switch out of the equation first, should be able to pull the recoil and just unhook the wire at the coil or do as suggest above. Local dealer here keeps the factory switches in stock for $8, same switch that was used on many saws for many years. Should also remove the coil, clean everything out and reinstall the coil using a business card to set the air gap. If you do need a coil there was a feller on Ebay selling new oem for $35 shipped.

Hello, played around with the saw today, and it will start on choke and idols a second then dies, sound like it has spark then. What do i need to look at?
I also pulled the carb and looked at the piston, and the piston does not go down far enough to allow a opening toward the plug side, i also could not see the piston ring either. Is this normal
thanks

I don't think you have a scored piston but to be sure check the exhaust side also. We love pics on AS. If you can see some of the piston on the intake and looks good you don't really need to see the rings. I would get me a new fuel filter and line and replace all that. Since you already have the carb off, if you feel comfortable, take the carb apart being careful not to tear the gaskets. There is a small screen in there that you need to clean. Check to see if the diaphragm is pliable and not hard. You might have to put a kit in it, sometimes you can get away without. I would start here, regardless of other problems you need to eliminate this one now, providing it does have a good spark and p&c is good. This is what I do to get started on a new found treasure. :smile2:

I don't think you have a scored piston but to be sure check the exhaust side also. We love pics on AS. If you can see some of the piston on the intake and looks good you don't really need to see the rings. I would get me a new fuel filter and line and replace all that. Since you already have the carb off, if you feel comfortable, take the carb apart being careful not to tear the gaskets. There is a small screen in there that you need to clean. Check to see if the diaphragm is pliable and not hard. You might have to put a kit in it, sometimes you can get away without. I would start here, regardless of other problems you need to eliminate this one now, providing it does have a good spark and p&c is good. This is what I do to get started on a new found treasure. :smile2:

Hello and thanks, i just don't see how fuel gets above the piston if i cant see the rings, also both intake and exhaust look brand new on piston. is it easy tearing down a carb
trevor

The fuel goes down first, then as the piston travels down it causes pressure that causes the fuel and air to go up in the transfer ports. google how a two stroke works, you'll find a video. Or take the jug off your saw. It doesn't run so dive right in. 8mm socket is all you should need. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back