Question About Chains ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brush Stomper

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
What are your opinions on which chain is better-Stihl or Oregon?
I sharpen my own chains with a guide and file.
Thanks Brush Stomper

Chevy or Ford?

Are you just asking in general or do you want to find out about a particular type of chain? Application? Chain size? Saw size? What types of wood do you cut and under what conditions?

If there were one perfect chain for all conditions and applications, we wouldn't have different brands, sizes or styles.

I like stihl RS,RM and Oregon 72 LG. The stihl is great chain, but the oregon is just as good and is cheaper. The stihl may stay sharp a slight amount longer, but not enough to justify the price differance. That being said I onw mostly Stihl RS and RM(rm for dirty wood).

I typically use Oregon 73LG...for 99% of my cutting...I use Carleton for my race chain...cause Art and Ken said so....no further questions did I ask. I like the full house, as it is smoother...and faster...a bit more filing...but the only dirt I chew is with a Rotax...

I too have always used Oregon 73LG. I also have two 24" loops of semi-race chain; one is a KD and the other is a JD.

oregon 72LG here for 24" and 20" bars. Oregon is much better value chain - about $11 per 24" loop at commercialcutters.com vs. $24.95 for a 24" stihl RS loop at my dealer.

i like the stihl chain the best but don't like the price!!! i run woodsman pro which is carlton chain. i'm going to give oregon another try though:) currently i'm cutting mostly hard woods and like BW said the stihl chain seems to stay sharper a little longer, hope this helps:angel:

I know, I know things are differnet up here in Canada eh, The Stihl chain is actually cheaper where im at, (a buck a bar inch) to keep the math simple, then they make it complicated by tacking on 15% that the government divies up. As far as the Oregon chain is concerned 25$ plus tax for a 20" bar.

so that being said I happly stick with the stihl RS.

Iuse the 72 lp full comp. cause its smoother than the lg, and that seems to make a big diference on my aging wrists.

chain

I run whatever somebody deemed worn out(usually only half gone) or was traded in with the saw. Seems to me as long as it is properly sharpened, most any chain works well.
Which one lasts the longest, the one that cuts only wood and misses the dirt, stones, ice, etc.

I appreciate all your replies,even though my question was kinda vague. I cut mesquite trees mostly and this time of the year I cut dead mesquite and it's usually dirty. I use an old Poulan 305 with 50cc 16" inch Oregon Bar with a .325 pitch that I'll probaly replace this year for a safer saw.
I was the Husky dealer yesterday looking at the 351 and the dealer said the chain adjustment was giving some problems stripping out. The slot in the side cover is not long enough.
Also looked at the Echo CS510 which seemed to be better made.
I'll go back and test drive both of them when I have more time.

Brush, try a husky 346xp, great saw i love it!!you won't believe how fast it blows through wood!!!:angel:

Back