Question about 'dual port' mufflers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I asked both of the saw dealers that I do business with about muffler mods, and they both highly discourage it.

I cant help it guys, but even my freaking stock Poulans ran better with muffler mods. :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Think about it they are a dealer and they have to follow rules, especially if they dont know you real good and say what uncle sam says to say.

I used to go to a muffler shop and they used to make you replace cat converters when they went bad. put it this way, mine dont with me, but he knows me and the cars and suv's run much better now.

Thanks for the good info. I understand your points perfectly, but I can't help but wonder---- If the engineers know that the power output will be less, would they not design down the saw components in an effort to reduce cost and weight?
Also, I should have KNOWN the government is the reason for this mess. Thats exactly why we should not nationalize healthcare.
I asked both of the saw dealers that I do business with about muffler mods, and they both highly discourage it.

Of course they discourage it. I went into a stihl dealer (who's since sold his business) and got some plugs, & told him about dual porting my husky muffler, and doing a little polish on the ports. He told me, officially, he had to say he recommends against doing any work to the saw, but unofficially, he bet it was a lot more fun to use that way. And a lot more powerful. he told me about how he even used to have a hotsaw.

Thanks for the good info. I understand your points perfectly, but I can't help but wonder---- If the engineers know that the power output will be less, would they not design down the saw components in an effort to reduce cost and weight?
Also, I should have KNOWN the government is the reason for this mess. Thats exactly why we should not nationalize healthcare.

Flashy,
Again and will all due respect...the way they increase exhaust temperature is to restrict the flow of exhaust in the muffler. They really want all the hydrocarbons completely combusted. So the way you increase flow through the exhaust is to simply open it up.
Some ways are more creative than others, but if you try it you will notice 15-20% increase in power and cooler operating temperatures.
Once you mod the muffler you may want to mod the cylinder, then the carb etc...etc...etc.

I feel that you realize having the Government constantly regulating everything is not a good thing. Less government involvement is almost always better.

We have the best Health care in the world, does anyone really belive having the Government getting involved would make it better?

I choose to trust the engineers and testers who design and build these complex machines. If you want more power and performance, buy a bigger saw. I would be willing to bet that most of these guys who modify have ruined, either quickly or over the course of a few months, some very well designed saws. I doubt that any are willing to admit it, though.
I do understand the idea of trading longevity for performance, if you are a professional saw user. New saws ARE deductible.

Yes, but engineers have to make compromises that the end user doesn't have to. Sometimes the backyard engineer is at a distinct advantage over the "professional" factory type.

Chainsaws are not that entirely complex, and something as simple as opening the muffler can yield some good benefits. As long as the mixture is richened to compensate for the better breathing, there is no risk to moderate muffler mods. Longevity is increased, due to cooler operating temps, not decreased. My very high hour 066 with a muffler mod will handily outcut a new stocker...but it's a lot louder. Not a very civilized machine, that's my trade off.

The 372 is next, just need to run it some more to get baseline mix and overall performance impressions right, then it's Dremel time. I've got the mix pretty close now, just need to run it a bit.

Mark

Back