Question about gray birch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtboy

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a bunch of gray birch in an easy to down location. I know they are not the best BTU, but I try not to be a wood snob. My question is, if I bring them down, cut them into rounds now and split them in spring, will they turn punky by the time I'm ready to burn them in 2015-16? I keep the rounds on pallets, and they get full day sun (uncovered). When split in spring, they will be stacked off the ground with just the top of the pile covered. Thanks for any opinions, have not burned any gray birch as yet, and would hate to do all that work for a bunch of punky wood.

I have a bunch of gray birch in an easy to down location. I know they are not the best BTU, but I try not to be a wood snob. My question is, if I bring them down, cut them into rounds now and split them in spring, will they turn punky by the time I'm ready to burn them in 2015-16? I keep the rounds on pallets, and they get full day sun (uncovered). When split in spring, they will be stacked off the ground with just the top of the pile covered. Thanks for any opinions, have not burned any gray birch as yet, and would hate to do all that work for a bunch of punky wood.
2015-16? Over two years in advance? Why not burn the split logs in Fall, 2014 and Winter, 2015?

I only did a lot of birch years ago, but my experience is..hey, birch bark canoes and stuff, that is some waterproof bark there. Split birch as soon as possible.

Gray birch on the stump, contains LOTS of water, and retains that water very well unless split.

It can be difficult to split, but unless you split it, you have a compost pile IME.

Since it's the bark that holds moisture and causes premature rot you can take a:chainsaw: and cut a kerf length wise, or if you have the time you can split them in half.

Last edited:
I've always split any birch as soon as humanly possible. I have yet to keep any more than a season but I noticed some of the older splits were a bit tender after 10 months sitting.

Thanks for the replies. So dropping it, splitting it right away, letting it sit all summer than burning it that winter sounds like the way to go. I'm already set for the next 2 winters, so it looks like the birch gets a reprieve. I like my splits to dry for 2 seasons before I use them, and to keep two years ahead.

I don't have experience with gray, but if it's anything close to white/paper birch, if you split it and get it stacked off the ground, it'll keep for quite a while. Ground contact and internal moisture will rot it quick, take those away, and it'll last a good long time.

I don't have experience with gray, but if it's anything close to white/paper birch, if you split it and get it stacked off the ground, it'll keep for quite a while. Ground contact and internal moisture will rot it quick, take those away, and it'll last a good long time.

What Steve said.

I have kept some white birch for about a year and a half with no problems but I don't think I'd let it go any longer. It doesn't need 2 years to be ready to burn. I'd also try to keep it near or on top of the stack.

Oh yea, make sure you stack it with the bark facing the right direction :msp_tongue: :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back