Question about logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
buddyballs79

buddyballs79

ArboristSite Lurker
I hope I can get some advice here and thanks in advance.

I got a buddy with a Woodmizer LT40 that said I can use it for free just buy a pack of blades so I cant go wrong there. I want to mill some logs 6"x12" and 16' long to build a little cabin/storage shed behind my house. Its something I've wanted to do for a while with square logs. I'm gonna get one of the dovetail jigs for the corners. It'll mainly be for decoration and I wont even run power to it.

What do you think of using yellow poplar? I have a place to store it to let it dry or try to find a local kiln if its really needed. Its plentiful and relatively cheap. I see vintage log cabins made with poplar. Can I take a 12"x12" cant and saw it in 1/2 or will they check real bad then? I would hate to have that happen and be stuck with them. I'm thinking I should plan on one log out of one tree unless I get some longer ones of course. The other I mill off I can use for decking or whatever.

Also what about pine? Any opinions about it? I've built one out of round logs that I just debarked and stacked but I never put any sealer and they rotted in the span of about 2 years so I dont want to make that mistake again. It was a learning experience but on this one I want to do it right.

TNMIKE

TNMIKE

ArboristSite Operative
Yellow poplar

I would not hesitate to use poplar for a log structure. I live on the border of NC and TN and there are many, many cabins that were made of poplar. A lot of them are still standing after hundreds of years. With modern construction methods and sealers available today it should be easy to repeat this.. The foundation is key..get the logs off the ground and build enoug overhang on the roof to sheild them. I would treat them with a wood preservative after some drying time.

A friend of mine just built a log blacksmith shop and he use red clay mud/straw mix for chinking. He also used split oak shingles. I dont know that I would go that far to the traditional side but he did a really good job.

buddyballs79

buddyballs79

ArboristSite Lurker
How long should I let them dry before building? Can I just stack them, crossing them and cover with a tarp or do they need to be under a shed?

It'll be one log per running log to cut back on warping then. I was qouted $950 for a full tractor trailer load of big poplar. He said that was around 45k board feet of pure lumber. Is that a good price? He said nothing less than
10" diameter on the small end with 24' and over lengths.

Thanks

1953greg

1953greg

ArboristSite Guru
How long should I let them dry before building? Can I just stack them, crossing them and cover with a tarp or do they need to be under a shed?

It'll be one log per running log to cut back on warping then. I was qouted $950 for a full tractor trailer load of big poplar. He said that was around 45k board feet of pure lumber. Is that a good price? He said nothing less than
10" diameter on the small end with 24' and over lengths.

Thanks

that would certainly be a bargan but he aint hauling 45k board feet. closer to4500 board feet. maybe he meant 45k lbs.
poplar weights 3.2#/board foot sawed. or 5-5.5# in the log.

but at 4500bf/$950 thats 21 cents. still a good deal.

Ryan Willock

Ryan Willock

Addicted to ArboristSite
Most tractor trailer loads will run between 22-25 tons depending on what type of tractor/trailer combo and how the guy likes to load.