Question about old Jonsered SEM units?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuren

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Perhaps some of may remember that I was here a few months ago gathering info to refurbish a Jonsered 70E saw for my father. The refurbish went well and the saw ran like a champ.............until now. I'm heading up to the cabin to take a look at it this holiday weekend, but it's behaving the same as when the SEM unit went out before. I was able to get a used SEM unit through Motorsag before, but I'm not hopeful he'll have another.

So my question is can these SEM units be refurbished? I have no idea what the unit looks like internally, but I'm assuming its coiled wire and other simple solid state electronic pieces. I'm wondering how difficult it would be to crack one of these units open and fix whatever fails in them. Has anyone tried this or is such a feat not possible? If this SEM is now bad, I'll have 2 dead units and 1 dead saw.

Thanks!

Rebuilt SEM

Was surfing for a SEM distributor overseas on GooGle and found an outfit that refurbs and builds aftermarkets. About $150 plus shipping. That's about all I can tell you. Go Surf if you can afford that price, otherwise hopefully you can find used or old stock out there. I have a couple of old stock new SEM units but I haven't had a chance to research the numbers to see what they fit. Do you know what is the Jon part number? not the number on the SEM. If so PM me.

Back