Question about Pin Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dadatwins said:
Like the old days of painting wounds, it will take time and education to change the way trees are grown and harvested, but eventually it will change, hopefully. Probably not soon enough for Mr Maas so we can listen and be entertained by his rants. :)
It's nice to have this format to talk about it, get it out in the open, think about the new practices and standards for the future.
If the topic is raised enough, the eggheads in charge will start to make some changes, and soon it will be written into the standards.
Is tomorrow too soon?

Dadatwins said:
Maybe I will attach those Do not remove under penalty of law tags that are on sewn onto matresses and pillows to the lower limbs.
Hah! That's exactly what I do. I use 2" x 4" aluminum plant ID tags and stick them on the lower limbs so they are very hard to miss. Not foolproof, but a lot better than nothing.

Mike Maas said:
He used it as an example of quality nursery stock, because of the excellent structure,
I find that hard to believe. Those trees look scalped.
In the nursery's defense, pruning standards are different for them.
Come again? The ANLA is a partner to ANSI; I don't think they have separate section like the utilities do.
I would argue that lower limbs can be left on deciduous trees as often as they are left on evergreens, the only difference being, peoples perception of what a tree should look like.
You can argue it all day long, but that will never make spruces and hemlocks excurrent, or oaks and ginkgoes decurrent. That said, I agree that oaks and ginkgoes are beautiful when there is room for them to sweep the ground (which is all too rare).

Re ANSI, the pruning committee meets later this month to review comments. It amazes me how few they get, compared to the beyotching that goes on about it.:buttkick:

I find that hard to believe. Those trees look scalped.
When a picture is linked and embedded, simply right click on the picture, click on properties, and you will see the URL of the source.
To find the picture on his site, click on the nursery growing tab, then goals.
Come again? The ANLA is a partner to ANSI; I don't think they have separate section like the utilities do.
Uh yeah, in the ANSI standards there are mentioned exceptions for nursery growers. Have a look.
You can argue it all day long, but that will never make spruces and hemlocks excurrent, or oaks and ginkgoes decurrent.
attachment.php

French%20Blue%20Scotch%20Pine.JPG

Okay...

Mike Maas said:
there are mentioned exceptions for nursery growers. Have a look. .
O yeah in 2.2, horticultural production is exempt. Wonder why the ANLA partners in it then--maybe just to stay exempt! It would have been a good point to raise, removing this exemption. There'd be less crappy trees coming out of the nurseries; wish we'd've thought of that before. Now we gotta wait 5 years. :(

Latest posts

Back