question for shop owners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky hustler

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
How do you keep your saws on the shelf from being stolen? Do you use cables or electronic tags that go beep when you walk out the door. Had a 192t "grow legs" yesterday, and to be truthful I am a little furious:angry2: .
unfortunelly the .40 Glock that is my normal concealed carry weapon isn't allowed in the store.
I hate to have everything with a "leash" on it. As a customer I like to pick stuff up and "get a feel" for it, and I know my customers do the exact same thing. I HATE THIEVS!!!!

Well i don't own a saw shop, but i'd say you either nead to have somebody devoted to staying out front to help customers and keep an eye on things (wich can be difficult at times). You can "put them on a leash" and as long as the cable's are long enough your customers can still handle the saws.

I'd say a camera setup is the way to go, customers can pick up/handle merchandise and the $hi#head thief will get documented nicely for court in the event of a larceny.

While I'm all for concealed carry, if you didn't see/notice the theif then your G .40 wouldn't have made a difference. If it's your own shop why are you not allowed to carry in your own business? Usually business owners and their employees are usually afforded slightly more deference in order to protect their lives and property.

That definately stinks! Use the saw to cut his hands off!!!!!!!!!

Out of the 4 saw shops I go into only one has "free range" saws. But there is always someone within 10' of you while you are in there. It is easier because the showroom is rather small and he only displays about 8 saws. The other 3 places all have the saws cabled together and locked. It's a pita if you just want to fondle one, but I completely understand it. In the long run I will pay for the loss with higher prices.

Ed

How do you keep your saws on the shelf from being stolen? Do you use cables or electronic tags that go beep when you walk out the door. Had a 192t "grow legs" yesterday, and to be truthful I am a little furious:angry2: .
unfortunelly the .40 Glock that is my normal concealed carry weapon isn't allowed in the store.
I hate to have everything with a "leash" on it. As a customer I like to pick stuff up and "get a feel" for it, and I know my customers do the exact same thing. I HATE THIEVS!!!!
A few years back I had some new small saws I was selling out of my garage.
2 hispanics distracted me long enough for one of them to make off with a little Echo.
A leash is the only way to go.:chainsaw:

Kind of

While I hate thievin' bas7ards also. I wonder exactly what the purpose of the Glock is? Unless you are trying to keep someone contained they really don't have a purpose. I've got lots of guns, I'm all NRA and whatnot, redneck to the bone. I've yet to see someone that has the ba11s to pull a gun out when someone sticks a pistol in their face. Most of the time when being robbed or whatnot, if your carrying, they just take your piece and then you've given them something else to shoot someone with. Your much better off to keep the pistol in a convenient location you can access quickly, get video cameras, and put chains on the saws that allow them to move around freely. SAD to have to do this, but some scumbags obviously need it more than we do... If they worked, they wouldn't be stealing, cause they'd know what it takes to make a buck. Hopefully you've got serial numbers and you can turn the scumbag in. Did you see anyone come in? Like a description to give the coppers or anything??? Sorry for your loss dude. Be careful and alert out there eh?

:cheers: eh?

Is it possible to reconfigure the shop so the goodies are behind a door with a counter and a big window for the customer to gaze at the goodies while you go in the back. When you come back you can let him in and make the sale.

A big dog?

I found a bunch of stolen equipment being sold on eBay. The guy hit a bunch of amish guys in my neck of the woods. He used a phoney check to pay for the stuff.

I called the dealers, the Stihl rep, and 2 sherrifs departments. What was done? Nothing.

What are you going to do with a weapon? They are not going to pass up all the Drug stores, 7-11's and Booze stores to pull a gun on a saw dealer. You will just put an eye out with that thing. And if you paste one of these bad guys, your the one going to the big house. Stealing isn't a capital offence, but murder is.

The Po Po dont care about your stolen stuff. It all about fines taxes and bonds. As long as they get their money that all that matters. They could confiscate the stuff and sell it a an auction. You think you would get any of that money? Ha ha ha ha.

what they don't know won't hurt them.

i ain't dying for anyone.get an ankle holster and a Sig P232

to be truthful I am a little furious:angry2: .
I

I think husky hustler is just blowing off a little steam and is smart enough not to shoot someone for a misdemeanor theft.

However, if there is a threat, weapon, and delivery system and you are in "fear of death or great bodily harm" I say fight with everything you've got! Sheep look like dinner to wolves.

It is a sad state, but sounds like you're going to have to "leash" your saws, at least something to slow a thief down or make noise to alert you if somebody tries to walk off with one. Good luck bud.

Here's an idea. Leave them all running while on display. The customers can test throttle response as they handle them and if you hear a saw running at the front of the store, you know to go looking. If they turn it off, you will know that it isn't as loud in the store as it should be and again, you can go looking to see why. :chainsaw:

Ian

All of our saws sit loose on shelves and customers are welcome to pick them up and handle them. There is always an employee there to keep an eye on them.

We did have a saw stolen a few years ago- someone smashed one of the plate glass windows in the front of the store and reached in and grabbed an 084 before the cops could get there (We have a very loud alarm system).

I recomend having someone up front. A good quality door chime or loud buzzer lets you know when someone enters your showroom and allows you to make contact with your potential customer. The only equipment we have within 5 steps of the door is tractors and large equipment. Saws are in the middle along with handheld equipment. Orient your showroom so that everything is visible.

Bicycle cable locks work GREAT. They are stretchy and plastic coated. Plus you can set their combo locks to match for ease of access to employees.

We happen to have a very friendly and cuddly Doberman Pinscher. She is 4 years old and the biggest sissy in the world. But she's about 80 punds of pure muscle and is standing behind the front counter before I can get there. She's far enough back to avoid petting and possible scratches as she likes to put her paws on people.

Also, I keep a 9mm Beretta under the counter in an uncle mike's holster loaded with an empty chamber and a spare magazine. Also keep a nice baseball bat for less threatening situations. My new shop toy will be a Mossberg 500 riot special with a few goodies. Mostly for show and tell but it's great for close quarters. Nice thing about a pump-action 12 guage is the sound has a tendancy to stop an intruder.

If someone were to rob me with a firearm then they are welcome to whatever money and equipment they want to take (or keep them busy for the big bang). Anything less than a loaded gun and they had better take me by suprise. Local PD are all close friends and they recomend to not leave witnesses. There are no conflicting opinions when there is only 1 story being told alongside a very stiff would-be theif. HAHA Also.....get a Dolmar 7900....36 inch bar with full skip.....and a leatherface mask.

I can see it now.....

"Officer, I was scuffling in a non-lethal way with this here thief and he stumbled into this chipper that my salesman was demoing. BTW, can you get the fire department over here to hose that off my wall?"

Ian

What are you going to do with a weapon? They are not going to pass up all the Drug stores, 7-11's and Booze stores to pull a gun on a saw dealer. You will just put an eye out with that thing. And if you paste one of these bad guys, your the one going to the big house. Stealing isn't a capital offence, but murder is.

Most that have a ccw know that using it is the last resort. As stated eariler stealing a saw doesn't justify using deadly force, hustler was just venting.

However, if one would steal a saw, fire it up and come towards me, he would look like swiss cheese:chainsaw: :)

I could give exceptions for stealing a new 440:greenchainsaw:

Back