Question for Stihl 261 autotronic aficionado's.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dealer said don't run anything but 50:1

Same. As does all the manuals and recommendations from Stihl engineers.

Some random shop owner that's been running saws from the 50's and is stuck in his ways doesn't trump people that designed the product. I have several friends with tree care companies with thousands of hours on 261's, and other saws run at 50:1 without any premature wear issues. I've pulled them apart and inspected them myself.

This is like the people stuck in the 3k mile oil change days....with new synthetic oil it's not necessary and only wastes oil/time/money. Yet, some guys still think if you don't change your oil every 3k you'll blow it up. Times change. Keep up.

Same. As does all the manuals and recommendations from Stihl engineers.

Some random shop owner that's been running saws from the 50's and is stuck in his ways doesn't trump people that designed the product. I have several friends with tree care companies with thousands of hours on 261's, and other saws run at 50:1 without any premature wear issues. I've pulled them apart and inspected them myself.

This is like the people stuck in the 3k mile oil change days....with new synthetic oil it's not necessary and only wastes oil/time/money. Yet, some guys still think if you don't change your oil every 3k you'll blow it up. Times change. Keep up.
On the strength of your post I’m going 50:1 on my 261, but if it blows up you’ll be hearing from me!

Going against the grain here. I don’t see any real benefit to M-tronic. The cost of parts is high and it creates a difficult variable in troubleshooting. For what?
Many of the Mtron saws run great, but if yours doesn’t it will probably be an expensive headache.
I prefer the standard carbs saws. Partially because it’s what I know, partially because of hot starts and $70 solenoids.
For what it's worth, these are my thoughts entirely. I'm interested you say hot starts can be a problem, so you leave it ticking over and behold.....clutch bearing fails. This is the most common problem in uk . Mind you, a lot wouldn't know there was a bearing in there....let alone grease it. Going to cut up the next tree with an 026 while I run this around in the background. Half hearted pull when hot and I'm off ! Solenoid $70 .... that may translate into £70 in the uk, I will ask. Need something fresh to me, it's been a while and 50cc is adequate for 85% of my needs and light. 49sp has more grunt with a bit of class mind you.

For what it's worth, these are my thoughts entirely. I'm interested you say hot starts can be a problem, so you leave it ticking over and behold.....clutch bearing fails. This is the most common problem in uk . Mind you, a lot wouldn't know there was a bearing in there....let alone grease it. Going to cut up the next tree with an 026 while I run this around in the background. Half hearted pull when hot and I'm off ! Solenoid $70 .... that may translate into £70 in the uk, I will ask. Need something fresh to me, it's been a while and 50cc is adequate for 85% of my needs and light. 49sp has more grunt with a bit of class mind you.
My 261 starts fine after it's warmed up. Maybe 2 pulls but mostly 1. Only have about 6 tanks through it at the most. Cold starts take a few more pulls to get going.

I agree, a company with highly skilled engineers saying to run 50:1 is all I need to know. And my 261cm always starts easy whether cold or warm. Easiest starting saw I've ever used. Maybe it's the fuel I use, dunno. It's the first saw I've ever used store bought premix in.

It`s not that complicated as you think. It has a 2nd pair of poles on the flywheel to power the m-tronic system. Also there is no O2 sensor. It uses (1st) ignition timing and (2nd) fuel flow to regulate itself. The only sensor is the temp sensor in the control unit.

Very interesting, so a temp sensor is the only feedback into the auto tune system?

I'm sure it works slick but I'd probably opt for an old fashioned carb

i run 32:1 in my m-tronic's with no problems
Makes me wonder why their engineers wouldn't say you can run from 32:1 to 50:1 ot anything inbetween. Instead, they say run this and this only. More oil wouldn't hurt it but just maybe, it doesn't run as good as 50:1. There has got to be a reason behind it and I'd certainly like to know what it is.

Surely you'd think they would have tested all of this with sophisticated computers and other ways to determine 50:1 was the BEST. They obviously wouldn't want to decrease the life of their products verses other manufacturers products and make it appear they're building an inferior saw.

Makes me wonder why their engineers wouldn't say you can run from 32:1 to 50:1 ot anything inbetween. Instead, they say run this and this only. More oil wouldn't hurt it but just maybe, it doesn't run as good as 50:1. There has got to be a reason behind it and I'd certainly like to know what it is.

Surely you'd think they would have tested all of this with sophisticated computers and other ways to determine 50:1 was the BEST.
EPA!
Why wouldn't you sell more oil if you could lol.

Going against the grain here. I don’t see any real benefit to M-tronic. The cost of parts is high and it creates a difficult variable in troubleshooting. For what?
Many of the Mtron saws run great, but if yours doesn’t it will probably be an expensive headache.
I prefer the standard carbs saws. Partially because it’s what I know, partially because of hot starts and $70 solenoids.
Well now, it came to me. Not a 261, but a 462. Search you tube for "Stihl 462 M tronic converted to carb-before & after"....... It's all there, very informative, about the most accurate comparative test anyone could hope for all done by a guy that obviously knows them inside out. A lot of answers for either. Result is more than interesting. I'm making no other comment. But it has helped.

Back