Question for Stihl 261 autotronic aficionado's.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well now, it came to me. Not a 261, but a 462. Search you tube for "Stihl 462 M tronic converted to carb-before & after"....... It's all there, very informative, about the most accurate comparative test anyone could hope for all done by a guy that obviously knows them inside out. A lot of answers for either. Result is more than interesting. I'm making no other comment. But it has helped.
Scott is probably one of the most knowledgeable saw guys I had the pleasure of meeting. I like his opinion of the M-tronic in the last 2 minutes of the vid.

Scott is probably one of the most knowledgeable saw guys I had the pleasure of meeting. I like his opinion of the M-tronic in the last 2 minutes of the vid.
So, I got my 261cm, and I like it. Just recently it's been logging up a very large oak tree blown down in a gale, lots of brash and leaves. When I come off the throttle after an extended cut, it will occasionally fail to tick over and just stops. It then will not restart till its cool. It looks to me like I need to change the fuel solenoid. It appears that I can do this without removing the carb. Is this possible , or am I missing something ? If someone has done this job, perhaps they would like to give me a few tips......before I find it wasn't quite as simple as it looks !

Makes me wonder why their engineers wouldn't say you can run from 32:1 to 50:1 ot anything inbetween. Instead, they say run this and this only. More oil wouldn't hurt it but just maybe, it doesn't run as good as 50:1. There has got to be a reason behind it and I'd certainly like to know what it is.

Surely you'd think they would have tested all of this with sophisticated computers and other ways to determine 50:1 was the BEST. They obviously wouldn't want to decrease the life of their products verses other manufacturers products and make it appear they're building an inferior saw.
They will carbon up much quicker at anything over 50 to 1 and run the chance of that carbon getting hung up and ripping a piston

Back