Question for those who sell firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't sell wood except to a couple of friends. If I were to go into the firewood business, a simple rule would be that if I wouldn't burn it in my stove, I wouldn't sell it to anyone to burn in theirs.

Whats wrong with letting the buyer, season the wood, for a year or two???:givebeer:
And whats the definate definition of "seasoned"?
18%??
do you use a moist gauge?

This is a weird biz,
no one knows how much a cord is....
no one knows how much air is allowed in a stacked cord...
no one knows how much moist is allowed in so called seasoned wood...

I wouldn't sell wood by the cord, I would let customer measure volume and check moist, I might supply tape and gauge if needed, but promise a volume and a quality......NEVER!
:chainsaw:

:agree2:

A year of seasoning seems about ideal for most species of wood. I sold 16 facecord (5 1/3 cord) green wood to a guy who (gasp) actually planned ahead and wanted to have wood ready for the next winter. That seems pretty rare though b/c most people just wait until the last minute and need to have it ready to burn as soon as it's delivered.

I don't sell wood but I agree that If you wouldn't burn it yourself you shouldn't sell it as seasoned.

:agree2:
A year of seasoning seems about ideal for most species of wood. I sold 16 facecord (5 1/3 cord) green wood to a guy who (gasp) actually planned ahead and wanted to have wood ready for the next winter. That seems pretty rare though b/c most people just wait until the last minute and need to have it ready to burn as soon as it's delivered.

That is pretty rare. I see a lot of ads on craigslist lately from people looking for free wood b/c they have no wood, and winter is here, and they need heat, etc. I'm still surprised daily at just how unprepared most people are in life.

4-10 months covered on top from split and stacked to ready to sell. Depends on the wood, the weather when it was cut and the handling of the green wood.

Dead standing is ready immediately, usually.

If it won't burn easily or clean in my stove or campfire it isn't ready to sell.

i only sell green wood

cause that's what my one buyer wants

and he pays well, very well

all of our wood is at least 1 year old, everyone seems satisfied at that length of time, ( well theres always one that b--ches) :chainsaw:

Rule of thumb is a year with at least 8 months of that being after the wood is split too final size. This covers every spieces but oak as far as I'm concerned, oak needs 2yrs too be at it's best. As far as the person who said what's wrong with having the customer season the wood? Nothing wrong with that except that you'll sell for less money. Seasoned is always $50-$75 a cord more than green. :cheers:

4-10 months covered on top from split and stacked to ready to sell. Depends on the wood, the weather when it was cut and the handling of the green wood.

Dead standing is ready immediately, usually.

If it won't burn easily or clean in my stove or campfire it isn't ready to sell.

+1

Some woods take a bit longer some less.
The best way I've found is to cover the top of the pile and stack to be sure plenty of air can circulate around and through the stacks.

We also use the "If we'd burn it in our stoves then we'll sell it" philosophy. That translates into 9+ months of drying time for non-oak and 12+ months for oak and similar dense hardwoods.

Our wood stacks set on pallets that sit on 3" of stone with landscape fabric under it. They get good sun and good air flow so drying is pretty fast.

Rule of thumb is a year with at least 8 months of that being after the wood is split too final size. This covers every spieces but oak as far as I'm concerned, oak needs 2yrs too be at it's best.

Around here, two years gets your oak starting to sprout things. Too humid to hang around much longer than that! 1 year is about the best it's going to get.

Around here, two years gets your oak starting to sprout things. Too humid to hang around much longer than that! 1 year is about the best it's going to get.

Yep I hear ya. Mostly red oak up here and it takes some time due too the not really hot summers. White (paper) birch can start sprouting the same year you cut if not split right away. It starts growing mushrooms! :cheers:

Legal definition in CT is:
If sold by the cord: cut and air dried for six months.
If sold by weight: cut and air dried under cover for six months.

I'm burning a lot of "over seasoned" wood this year (three plus years, primarily Ash...stuff has the weight and burns almost as fast as kilned dry lumber...). Next year will be primarily swamp maple that's about one year seasoned.

Growing up the general rule was fell trees one fall, cut them up and bring out of the woods the next year, stack it in the garage. We kept about a week's supply by the woodstove, and three more weeks at the far side of the basement. As long as I can remember (8? younger?) I was responsible each weekend to move a week's supply from the far side of the basement to near the stove (about 10' away), and move another week in from the garage to the farside of the basement.

Latest posts

Back