Question on .043 chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjh245

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a quick question for all. I was given 3 new loops of .043 3/
3/8 low profile chain. These are 56 drive link chains for a 16 inch bar. So here is the question. I have never used anything other than the .050 kerf chain but I was thinking that I would buy a .043 bar and give the chains a try. I have been cutting a lot of pine and maple so I would think it would not be too hard on the chain.

Is it worth it to buy a bar for the chain or should i just trade the .043 chains for some .050 chains?

On the 575, I would probably just trade those chains of for some 3/8, .050", 72DL chisel.

I have a 16" 56DL 0.043" setup on my 142 and really like it. It came with Oregon 90SG but I ground the shark fins off so it is effectively 90S now. I also got a loop of WoodlandPro/Carlton for it and I like that too. The saw is muffler modded and cuts very fast with that chain. It is significantly narrower than 0.050" Lo Pro so the saw has to move less wood. Many of my other saws are all 0.050 Lo Pro but I've kept the 143 at 0.043".

I read on here that Carlton N4C was the best .043 chain. Perhaps it is for a normal chainsaw but I use it on a pole saw and It seems only the seven thousands of an inch for the drive links thinner than Oregon 0.050 VXL. The safety chains seem to be thinner or cut a thinner kerf. There is a lot less to sharpen on them, tooth length wise.

Give it away. Don't spend money on a bar. Well, maybe if you can find one of those super deals like when Baileys has bars for 4 bucks....even then I wouldn't, because then I'd be running that chain :laugh::laugh:

I could quite possibly be mistaken but I thought that .043, .050 etc was the gauge of the chain not necissarily the kerf. ???????

Give it away. Don't spend money on a bar. Well, maybe if you can find one of those super deals like when Baileys has bars for 4 bucks....even then I wouldn't, because then I'd be running that chain :laugh::laugh:
I gotta ask - what don't you like about it?

I could quite possibly be mistaken but I thought that .043, .050 etc was the gauge of the chain not necissarily the kerf. ???????
It is, but in fact the kerf is also narrower. The kerf of Lo Pro is narrower than full 3/8 and Micolite 0.043" is narrower still.

HAHA...it would be on a 338 xp

I've run .043" 90S and PMM3 on both HT KM 130 and MS192T C-E. I could not discern any difference in cut speed to .050" PMC, however it was mentioned before that .043" is a much smaller cutter than .050". I've found that PS3 is the fastest cutting 3/8 LP saw chain. I have a video on YouTube of my MS192T C-E running both chains and I bet without the subtitles no one would know the difference. I won't embed the video because I don't operate the saw very safely, and none of you should operate as I do.

I gotta ask - what don't you like about it?

It is, but in fact the kerf is also narrower. The kerf of Lo Pro is narrower than full 3/8 and Micolite 0.043" is narrower still.

the cutters are just tiny.

I would use it on a pole saw. I owned an MS170 once, and even it cut faster with 91VXL. I do think it helps with low power saws, but if a 170 works better with .050 then low power means pole saw, or really weak top handles like the old echos.

I also think it is stupid that they created another gauge of chain. Why couldn't they just market a narrow kerf 3/8 lo-pro chain that is .050"??

the cutters are just tiny.

I would use it on a pole saw. I owned an MS170 once, and even it cut faster with 91VXL. I do think it helps with low power saws, but if a 170 works better with .050 then low power means pole saw, or really weak top handles like the old echos.

I also think it is stupid that they created another gauge of chain. Why couldn't they just market a narrow kerf 3/8 lo-pro chain that is .050"??
I agree about the gauge, it doesn't seem necessary. Maybe it needed a thinner bar? I don't think the cutters are any lower, just narrower. So it should simply move less wood, which makes sense to me. My 142 is not underpowered and it cuts very fast with that chain. I have another LoPro 0.050" bar and a loop of Carlton chain but I've never put it on as I like the way the Microlite works.

I have the .043 ga chain on my polesaw attachment stihl fs90r running it on a 50dl 14" bar. It seems to cut pretty decent, although as some have stated the cutters are very small. It comes out of the cut mainly as dust, not so much chips. The stihl version is called picco micro.

I have the .043 ga chain on my polesaw attachment stihl fs90r running it on a 50dl 14" bar. It seems to cut pretty decent, although as some have stated the cutters are very small. It comes out of the cut mainly as dust, not so much chips. The stihl version is called picco micro.
Yes, the cutters are small, but not so small they should be making dust. You might want to look into how that chain is sharpened. Mine definitely makes chips, and throws them pretty far too now that the bumpers are removed.

The .043" chain cuts really well. On smaller, less powerful saws it won't drag the power down like .050"LP will.
Great on pole saws and because of it's narrower kerf cuts quick too. If it gets anywhere near dirt it will go blunt in a flash.
I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to run it on a 338XPT though as they have enough grunt for normal 3/8"LP.

Yes, the cutters are small, but not so small they should be making dust. You might want to look into how that chain is sharpened. Mine definitely makes chips, and throws them pretty far too now that the bumpers are removed.

Well on the polesaw its always falling on down on me. Yeah, the sharpening job on those little chains leaves a bit to be desired Im sure.

The .043" chain cuts really well. On smaller, less powerful saws it won't drag the power down like .050"LP will.
Great on pole saws and because of it's narrower kerf cuts quick too. If it gets anywhere near dirt it will go blunt in a flash.
No doubt about that - they will not tolerate any dirt. But they do only take a swipe or two to sharpen.

Back