Question on adjusting the L screw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 7901 is running great but am having a small problem when restarting it. If I only shut it down for a few minutes in starts right back up with one easy pull. If it sits for about 15-20 minutes, though it is a real challenge. On the second or third pull, it will start but die out after a second and then it is a real bear. Sometimes, if I pull out the choke for one pull, I can get it to go on the second pull but last night, I flooded it out.

I am assuming I need to adjust the L, but not sure which way to go?

Thanks for your help.

If your idle is reliable and stable, and your acceleration is brisk without bog or stumble, the Lo needle is set correctly, and you shouldn't mess with it.

15-20 minutes is getting into the grey area between "no choke" and "choked" starts....

If I'm re-starting my saw after that kind of break, I'll pull 3 x with no choke and fast idle.... If it doesn't start, I'll apply choke and start it as if cold.

What's happening for you is that the carb has a vapour bubble in it by the time you go to restart.... You start it and it runs for a second before the bubble starves it of fuel. If your saw has a half choke setting, that is a good way to deal with this, but modern saws tend to have the interlocked choke/hi idle dealeo going....

J

Back