Question on Echo CS-590 Decompression Valve

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2lumbarleft

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I wish to run this by the jury, and see if my thinking is correct on this, before I run off half cocked to Echo. This question is regarding general decompression valve operation.

From my experience with most chainsaws and concrete saws that employ a decompression valve, they work as follows. You activate the decompression valve by pushing it in which opens the valve. You then continue to pull the rope as many times as necessary until it pops (with the choke) or it fires up. In the past, when I have had decompression valves go bad, they would pop back out and close with every pull, which can be maddening, especially if you have a concrete saw that is a cold hearted, hard starting troll, that might take ten fast pulls of the starter cord.

Now, I have this brand new Echo CS-590 that does the same thing. Since their intellectually elite engineers decided to cheapen the design by eliminating the fuel purge bulb, It takes several pulls to prime the carburetor. Unfortunately, in my case, the decompression valve has to be activated for every single pull of the starter cord. As a matter of fact, it feels like the valve closes after one or two revolutions of the piston, and before I ever reach the full normal pull length of the cord. To me, this would seem to indicate a faulty valve.

I contacted my dealer who sold me the saw, and he said they have such high compression that they pop the valve every time and that is normal. Thinking that answer was total BS, I contacted the Echo Technical Support line. A young lady that may or may not have reached pubescence judging by her voice, listened to my question and then promptly said she did not know the answer. She said she would have to check with some one. She was gone for quite awhile, and then returned answering; that’s the way it is supposed to be. So much for take your daughter to work week.

I decided to drop a line to the web based tech support site for Echo. I received another message, from another female listing several general answer sites to select from. The message continued that they consider the matter to be closed, but if I wished, I could then forward my original message for escalation by pressing the “finish” button. At the end of the message, there was no finish button. This Echo tech support site was obviously designed by the same individual that created the Obamacare sign up site.

If there are exceptions to my way of thinking, please educate me now, or perhaps advise of some equally appropriate sized decompression valve that would work with my machine. Also, if there are other people out there with the CS-590 having the same experience please let me know. All I know is this push, pull, push, pull, push, pull, thing really blows. Thanks in advance. 2 lumbarleft

The 590 can in fact push the valve out do to it's high compression, and this can and does happen on other saws as well. However that's likely not your problem. What's happening is you're missing the first pop with the saw choked, and you're flooding the saw with extra fuel/oil, this raises compression even more, and push the valve out.

The CS-590 is very easy to start, likely easier to start than you other saws, so be careful not to miss the first pop. I will also add, if you have that much trouble starting the saw without the decompression valve, you likely shouldn't be using the saw.

The 590 can in fact push the valve out do to it's high compression, and this can and does happen on other saws as well. However that's likely not your problem. What's happening is you're missing the first pop with the saw choked, and you're flooding the saw with extra fuel/oil, this raises compression even more, and push the valve out.

The CS-590 is very easy to start, likely easier to start than you other saws, so be careful not to miss the first pop. I will also add, if you have that much trouble starting the saw without the decompression valve, you likely shouldn't be using the saw.
Hi andyshine77, This brand new saw has 150 psi compression, and was never fueled prior to the post. There was no "pop" because it couldn't "pop" without fuel. I was merely doing a cursory inspection of the saw before starting, and found the decompression valve issue. When I pay for new, I want it to operate like new and as intended by design. Yes, I can start the saw without engaging the decompression valve. I believe in using the valve to reduce wear and tear on the rope and recoil starter mechanism. But thanks anyway for your concern over my possibly infirm condition.

150 is not high by any means. That is average. The issue is in the design of the valve.
Thank you for adding clarity and logic to this matter. An Echo representative responded acknowledging the problem, and directed me back to the dealer. Their tech support will deal directly with the dealer to solve the problem.

Latest posts

Back