Question on saddles and fall restraints

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty12

Reaction score
Hello, I've been lingering around your website for a few months now and finally needed to ask a question I'm new to the bussiness, but I do have a decent amount of experience with chainsaws and felling of trees, but I'm kinda new to climbing. I was on the baileys website looking at saddles and it said that they're not intended as a fall restraint..I thought that what they were intended for..but anywase if someone could give me a list of the stuff I would need to get anything as small as carabiner to the saddle I would appreciate it very much...thanks Rusty12

Go to http://www.wesspur.com/index.html look at the complete climbing kits. You can either buy the kit or use it as a guide to what you may need. they have both spur and rope kits. I know because I just went through the process with them. Great prices, great cust service, they answered alot, alot of questions. Not a shameless pitch for them just my experience.

Rusty12 said:
I was on the baileys website looking at saddles and it said that they're not intended as a fall restraint..I thought that what they were intended for..
No. Falling is not part of our sport. A fall is never a good thing, unlike rock (sport) climbing where falling is expected and planned for. We just don't do that. Fall-restraint stuff is made for other aerial disciplines, tower work, bridges, high scaffolds, roofing and work involving aerial lifts (to name a few).

Hey, here's a link that might help. It gets into the nitty gritty of saddle setup and the gear that adorns a saddle. It's beoWulf's thread. Good luck in getting set up.

Kits

The kits as Wesspur are great! They have everything you will need to start and after you get the hang of it you can expand your climbing gear and experience.

As far as falling, TreeMachine is right, we are not about falling. There are special harness designed so that if, (say a roof worker on a tall building) were to slip past the safety precautions already in place, his harness would be THE LAST RESORT to safety. It's called a safety ladder, starting with a permanent solution and if not a collective PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) solution including the harness.

We rely on our harnesses often, and often hanging from our lifeline.

Ppe

Found it! Rusty, this is what Petzl says in their catalogue, I know you were only asking about a gear setup, but this might be helpful.

From the Petzl catalogue:
"These days, great attention is paid to accident prevention at work sites. However, accidents still occur frequently. Falls continue to be the single greatest cause of death and serious injury in work at height, despite advances in equipment design and safety awareness.

In industrial work-at-height applications, the priority must be given to collective safety measures. Personal protective equipment (PPE) is considered a last resort and is only authorized when it doesn't seem possible to install platform or mechanical lifting systems. PPE should be chosen over collective protection when:
-installing and using collective protection presents a greater risk than PPE,
-installing and using collective protection is technically impossible,
-or when the project is short-term and/or one-time.

This approach requires a proactive approach to learning the techniques, training and risk evaluation."

Petzl, please don't prosicute for copyright infringement. Just trying to get the message out.:)

Also

Petzl says (in the catalogue)

"Arboriculture ("tree surgery") is a specific activity and must be done without harming the trees. The use of an elevating platform is often difficult and doesn't allow access to all the parts of the tree. Trimming requires great mobility in the tree."

Rusty, try and get proffesional training or work for a company. Also start "LOW and SLOW."

Hope all this helps out! Let us know if you have more questions. There is a wealth of knowledge here!

look at a fall restraint harness strap and you will find a folded stack of material that will tear open, absorbing impact of fall.

look up terms "dynamic and static"
arborist will use special static lines to climb with. rock climbers will use both static and dynamic ropes which are designed with a certain amount of stretch to take a fall.

there's much to learn on these pages. never use the internet as you only source of information. find someone experienced to get you started.

start low and slow...
get a copy of tree climbers companion

Rusty12 said:
, but I'm kinda new to climbing. I was on the baileys website looking at saddles and it said that they're not intended as a fall restraint..I thought that what they were intended for..

Our climbing saddles are primarily used for body positioning not fall restraint.

For dest fall restraint you need a dorsal (between the shoulder blades) attatchment point. This is impractical in advancing a hitch.

The best work practice to protect against fall injury is to allways work with 2 mechanical points of attatchemnt (climbing line and lanyard, or 2 lanyards with some seperation) and to not let your climbline droop lower then your feet when climbing the tree, i.e. advance the hitch regularly.

As JP says, 'body positioning'- getting yourself into the right place and into a safe position to be able to make the cuts you need. Our aerial work differs much more than any other discipline in that we carry a chainsaw. That's a big point of difference because it's not purely about the climbing.

Our saddle becomes our 'toolbox' too. Everything you need to do what you do up there needs to be attached to you (not counting cabeling, that's different). Our saddles are designed for that.

The fall restraint they are talking about is using these saddles as a protection from falls from aerial lifts and other likely high positions. Many saddles now can be made to use as a fall protection type system in a bucket truck with the addition of suspenders and a decelleration lanyard.

hey guys sorry it took so long to reply but all the replies i got helped alot thanks again and happy holidays...Rusty12

Back