Question on spiltter build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truck4

Head Pee On
Reaction score
Ok Im in the finishing up stage of building my spiltter, and looking for some suggestions on how thick you guys think the push plate should be, some of the other specs are:
18hp B&S (know its big but it wasfree)
16 gpm 2 stage pump
4"x20"x2" cylinder

I have some 3/8 floor deck plate and wondering if brace'd right if this would work, thanks

Roy

I don't think mine is any thicker than that. Just make sure you brace the edges well. There can be quite a bit of side loading with crooked pieces of wood.

Others will be here to chime in shortly. I'm sure :)

With that size motor it is too bad you didn't get the 22 GPM pump. With a 4"x20" it is still going to be pretty fast.

I think the plate will be just fine.

Thanks guys,
Amull I really wanted a 22gpm pump but at this time the 16 was all I could afford:bang:

Roy

I think that is asking alot for 3/8 plate. I would try and use something around 1 1/4" or bigger.

Thanks for all the advice guys, think I will go with the 1" and make me some gusset plates for the sides, hopefully I can post some pic. soon. Thanks

mine is 1.5" guessested in a "T" shape with more 1.5", and 6 more 1/2" gussets. it is not bent, with a 5" cylinder

I think I went with 1 1/4" on mine, it was a baseplate for a strutral steel column that was drilled wrong. Pretty brutal stuff.

Newsplitterpics046.jpg

Newsplitterpics036.jpg

I built mine with 1" plate and the corners are a little bent now (5" cylinder). 1" with gussets or go bigger.

3/8" is fine just brace it...I ran 1" flat stock around the edge of mine, it's not going anywhere. Same thing with backplates...everyone around here is caught up in thickness...just brace it...something like 3/8" generally weld better anyway than a monster thick plate...bracing is your friend.

if you are going to use the 3/4" plate, be sure to support it as much as possible.

DSCF0207.jpg

Back