Question Sharpen

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ispansco

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Question for experts in Chain

Is correct to sharpen the chains stihl RMC 3/8 and .325 with corresponding File kit of husqvarna? :confused:

:greenchainsaw: :givebeer:
kit_afilar.jpg

Last edited:
Computer user, I agree, but different brand chains can be file size specific.

On their 3/8 chain Stihl often recommends a 13/64 (or metric eqivalent) instead of the 7/32 for Oregon. both are useable but just a little difficult to get the larger file into the gullet of the Stihl for the first sharpening.
The Stihl .325 cutters are quite large and use a 3/16 file while some of the Oregon had smaller cutters that required a 5/32 file so I think Ispansco should check it out before ordering.

The roller guide is different for 3/8th and .325
Sawtroll mentioned you need to modify the roller guide slightly to fit on stihl chains.

I use one of those roller guides on my H30 (95VP) chain. That particular chain calls for a 10 degree up/down handle and the guide puts you in the correct position. I'm not sure whether the H42 chain has this 10 degree up/down handle requirement but I'm pretty sure the Stihl chain does not. I would certainly check to see if the H42 has this 10 degree requirement before using this guide on the Stihl chain.

Saw Troll "First you have to choose the right one for your chain.

Then just deepen the front notches slightly, until it puts the file at the right hight related to the chain.
Some times you will have to widen the notches slightly as well - do it in a way that puts the top-plate angle closer to 30 degrees (most start at 25).
Use the line on top of the cutters as an angle indicator.
Last edited by SawTroll : 12-02-2007 at 09:19 AM.
SawTroll is online now Add to SawTroll's Reputation Report Post Reply With Quote

Thanks

Thank you all, I think that the best thing would be I buy a kit for stihl chain, but anyway I would like to know the differences. These are the data that I have.

h30.jpg

h42.jpg

Latest posts

Back