Questions about Cottonwood trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bettiepagegirl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
How far away from my house should I plant Cottonwood trees? I bought two 5 gallon size trees yesterday, but the woman at the nursery failed to inform me of their potential problems. We live in the Mojave Desert in California, but I'm not sure which species of Cottonwood they are. I wanted to plant them as shade trees, but now I am afraid to plant them! We have a 1/2 acre lot, but there's a septic tank and a big circular driveway (not to mention the foundation!).
Our neighbor suggested burying some pipes alongside the roots (pvc pipes to get the water deeper in the ground) to get them to grow deeper instead of spreading lengthwise. Is this a possible solution? ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated....
Thanks! ;)

In my opinion your lot isn't large enough-I would not have a cottonwood within 100 yards of my home. That reflects my prejudice against Cottonwoods. If you still want to plant them -50-75 feet from your house will minimize the danger posed by large branches falling when they get large(which they will do quickly if they live and recieve adequate water.). That space will also make removing them easier and less expensive if they die in 15 years as they very typically do.:( "Deep" watering is advisable in the sense of periodically soaking the soil. Burying pipes and introducing water down deep isn't likely to have a pronounced effect. The trees will develop almost all of their roots in the top 14" of soil. They develop the roots their not "just because you water shallowly" but because in order to live and function, gas exchanges must take place in the soil and that can't happen properly much below the 14" level in most circumstances.

I'm going to exchange them!

Thanks for the info....I'm going to skip planting them today, and I'll take them back to the nursery Monday to exchange for something less problematic. :)

I agree. You yard is too small for the cottonwood trees. Please take them back and select a smaller tree for your area.

Latest posts

Back