Questions about sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yong321

Reaction score
A beginner question. I can't figure out where to file the teeth after watching Youtube videos. I'm attaching a picture of my Remington 14'' Limb N Trim, which doesn't really cut now. The arrow is the direction of the chain movement. I can't imagine the direction would be wrong because a few years ago the tool worked well and I don't recall ever replacing it. So, it must be the teeth. I want to try filing them first before I decide to replace it. Of the 4 points I mark, which point should I file? I didn't find a Web site that shows how the teeth of the chain saw do the cutting. Thank you!

Attachments

• Chainsaw.jpg
    Chainsaw.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 207
There is also a little switch on the bottom of the saw that is marked "R" ...this is for reverse. Flip that switch and it will spin the chain in the opposite direction and it will cut fine. It's quicker than reattaching the chain.

57da75bee657f66a0748dbfeaf1f29d5.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! I'm going to re-mount the china tomorrow. I can't imagine the direction is wrong. I haven't used it for years but last time I used it, it worked fine, and I don't remember ever taking down the chain. (Was I doing that in sleep-walking?)

I don't see an R switch anywhere. I checked this manual http://remingtonpowertools.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/RM1415A-769-08113-P00.pdf and didn't see mention of it.

Thanks everyone! It was indeed mounted backward. I remounted the correct way and it works as good as it can be. I also sharpened the teeth a little bit, refilled the oil tank, and made sure the chain is tighter than before. All suggestions are great. Appreciate it.

(As to how it was mounted backward, it remains as a personal mystery!)

...(As to how it was mounted backward, it remains as a personal mystery!)
Just read what timbertool wrote. Everyone who has worked for some time with saws had this happen before. I even remember a member Quote how collegues had secretely ground the back side of the chain and mounted on backwards and laughed because he was so astonished that his chain was so grabby and didn't recognize right away what the Problem was!

For what it would cost you, get a new chain, correct length,& possibly slightly less anti kick back features, the chain fitted is on back wards, to long & has very robust anti kick back bumpers. Possibly give you the size you require stamped on the bar

. . get a new chain . . . possibly slightly less anti kick back features . . .

I have that same saw, except with a 10" bar on a pole saw attachment. It has a modest, 7 Amp motor, and some plastic gears. It will hold up if treated gently, if the chain is kept sharp, and if used on small wood. I trimmed a lot of branches with mine.

If you notice, these saws come with skip tooth chain, even with the shorter 10" bar, due to their limited motor size. Since it is intended for small diameter wood (e.g. branches), the tie strap bumpers also help provide a smooth cut, aside from the reduced kickback benefit.

Philbert

Thanks everyone! It was indeed mounted backward. I remounted the correct way and it works as good as it can be. I also sharpened the teeth a little bit, refilled the oil tank, and made sure the chain is tighter than before. All suggestions are great. Appreciate it.

(As to how it was mounted backward, it remains as a personal mystery!)
Good on ya for accepting the light-hearted ribbing! As for the mystery, do you have any "friends" who like to "help" you with your tools?

Just read what timbertool wrote. Everyone who has worked for some time with saws had this happen before. I even remember a member Quote how collegues had secretely ground the back side of the chain and mounted on backwards and laughed because he was so astonished that his chain was so grabby and didn't recognize right away what the Problem was!

Not had that happen but a "wag" I worked with for a time Twisted the half dozen or so spare sharp chains I carried inside out

Good on ya for accepting the light-hearted ribbing! As for the mystery, do you have any "friends" who like to "help" you with your tools?

Yup, they always mean well, but often cause more harm than good. That said....it's still nice to have friends!! :D

Oh, and yes, just the other day I went to do a test cut on a customers saw after rebuilding it....and I put the chain on backwards! Amazing how poorly it cut...but it sure revved up nice!!!

Latest posts

Back