Questions for hand splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found that using a 6 pound maul works better than a heavier maul because it seems that the lighter weight lets you develop more speed in your swing with less effort and I don't get worn out as quickly. I never use an axe anymore for splitting.

I have found that using a 6 pound maul works better than a heavier maul because it seems that the lighter weight lets you develop more speed in your swing with less effort and I don't get worn out as quickly.

My beliefs exactly. Last summer I split a bunch of 25-28" red oak. Started with an 8 pounder and then purchased a 6 pounder. Now the 8 pounder never gets used no matter how big the log. Speed is very important...along with accuracy.

splitting by hand

The stuff I split is not susceptible to hand splitting for the most part. It's twisty almond, huge valley oak and orchard walnut. I also find that the shock of using an axe or a maul leaves my hands and wrists so sore that it's just not worth the pain. Much more efficient to burn fuel rather than glucose. When I was younger and when I had teenage boys who could swing a maul we would split the small stuff by hand with a six or eight pounder, but you had to split it green. Once it dries, even a little, it takes so much time that you're much better off with the hydraulics. We'd drop the tree and dice it up, then go down the line with a maul. Anything that doesn't split easily, you leave it. Load the split stuff and small stuff and come back with the splitter for the rejects and the bigger stuff. Much more efficient, as far as the number of times you have to handle the wood.

Like others have mentioned before, I think it's important to "read" the grain pattern to see which way is going to be easiest to split. You don't generally need a heavy maul to do it. I have a 16lb "monster" maul, and also a smaller one and a Fiskars. I use the fiskars most b/c it works the best for me. I don't use the bigger ones anymore.

The tire trick or a bungee or rope around the big rounds works great and saves a ton of bending over.

The most important trick though by far is to yell "JUDO CHOP!" at the top of your lungs with every swing. It's been scientifically proven to increase your splitting force by 15%, while upping your appeal to the ladies by 8%.

The most important trick though by far is to yell "JUDO CHOP!" at the top of your lungs with every swing. It's been scientifically proven to increase your splitting force by 15%, while upping your appeal to the ladies by 8%.

:hmm3grin2orange: :clap:
I can just imagine my neighbors reaction to that!

Has anyone used the Stihl Splitting Axe? My Stihl dealer told me that Fiskars made the Stihl splitting axe and splitting maul. The Stihl splitting axe looks just like a fiskars on steriods with a longer hickory handle. I haven't ever used the fiskars but know it gets rave reviews, I like the idea of the Stihl weighing more and having a longer hickory handle.

Yeah I got it works superb

There was another thread here a while back where someone talked about the differences between speed and force and weight and all that, basically showing that the heavier mauls actually have less splitting power than a lighter/faster one. I'm too lazy right now to hunt it up for you, so you'll have to do the search yourself.
And as for Fiskars, I'd love to have one, but I'm afraid I'd cut my leg, like so many others have done. When they finally get around to putting a longer handle on it, then I'll buy one. (Somebody tell Fiskars).

Back in the day when we split all our firewood I found there was no one single best instrument for splitting. Mentally I just felt better if I had a small arsenal at my disposal ...so I grabbed what I thought worked best. There's a lot of mental hocus-pocus going on here.

Last edited:
:agree2:

That's the way we did it. 8lb maul, big axe, small axe, fireman's axe, wedges and 10 lb sledge all went out to the splitting area. We even used bowsaws and a two-man crosscut for bucking because my mother was scared to death of chainsaws.

These days I've narrowed it down to just the hydraulic splitter and a chainsaw for noodling if needed. Sometimes I use the 8 lb maul and Fiskars SSA just for the fun of it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back