Questions just posed to Stihl regarding their 2N1 sharpening system

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutleg

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just submitted the following question to stihlusa.com, and I figured some of y'all may want to see it and maybe take a stab. I will post their official response when I get it.

---

I have about seven Stihl saws, 441C, a 310 and an 021 among others.

My question is about my 310 and 021. My 310 has a 3/8 pitch clutch sprocket. My 021 has the OEM 16" bar with a Picco chain (.050).

Questions

1. What is the pitch of this Picco chain in actual numbers?

2. I recently bought a Stihl 2N1 sharpener, but I stupidly bought a .325" one because I didn't know what I was doing.

2a. Does that mean that the 2N1 files and guides I bought are no good on my 310 and 021 as described above?
2b. Do y'all sell interchangeable files and guides for the 2N1?
2c. What size files and guides do I need for my 310 described above?
2d. What size files and guides do I need for my 021 described above?

Here is the bar/chain catalog, and it lists the items that you are inquiring about, it shows a different part number for each pitch/size.

Attachments

• 2018-bar-chain-catalog.pdf
    7 MB · Views: 10
Awesome, thanks. I've attached the relevant section. The way I view it, I have to order a whole new 2N1 kit for each pitch, and they don't sell replacement files for the 2N1.

OR, I just buy their "regular files" from p213. But, then, on p213, I don't see any Picco files listed.

Further, is there just one depth gauge file for all since it's just flat?

Finally, since I have a 3/8 picco and a regular 3/8, I guess that means I need two more sets of files (or whole kits).

Here is the bar/chain catalog, and it lists the items that you are inquiring about, it shows a different part number for each pitch/size.

Attachments

• 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 19
Here is Stihl's answer:

The pitch of the Picco chain on your 021 is a 3/8”P. Unfortunately, the 2-N-1 file guide you purchased will not work with either of the chains on your MS 310 or the 021.

The 2-N-1 files are designed for a specific pitch. Therefore, the round files in them are not interchangeable. You will need two separate 2-N-1 files for the chains you are inquiry about. Below are the part numbers for these specific 2-N-1 file guides.

2 in 1 Filing Guide for 3/8” 5605 750 4305 (MS 310) (13/64” round file)
2 in 1 Filing Guide for 3/8” STIHL PICCO™ 5605 750 4303 (021) (5/32” round file)​

The plastic handles on the 2-N-1 filing systems have holes specific to the file size it requires. The files in the 2-N-1 file guides are replaceable.​

That means that I bought a 2N1 that I cannot use, and I have to buy TWO more to sharpen my two saws. Ugh. Ignorance is expensive.

Keep the .325 one and buy the ones you need.

You may find you have a need for it one day. Or sell it later. Don't let a wrong purchase slow you down in your quest to be a self sufficient chain sharpener.

Best 2-n-1 ever made is 2 hands and 1 file of the correct size.

+1

I never tried a Stihl 2-in-1, but I had a Granberg, and I couldn't seem to get good results. Then a friend said, "Just try the appropriate size file and try it freehand, using the marks in the chain – or a Stihl file handle – to help you gauge the angle."

Tried it, and it worked, surprisingly well, and I've never felt the need to do it any other way since then.

Based on this youtube video:

I bought the Stihl 2-in-1 tool for my 1/4" picco chains on my small saws. It works wonderfully well and it takes down the depth gauges at the same time.

I'm pretty good with just a round file of the correct size, but having to go back and set the depth gauges using a flat file and a depth gauge tool makes the sharpening process take considerably longer, than if one just uses the Stihl 2-in-1 tool.

There are some knock-offs available on Amazon, but I haven not tried any of those.

Latest posts

Back