Questions on 099/011 Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indiana John

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Okay, I've got an 099 and an 011AVT saws laying around the shop. I would like to fix up the 011AVT for a handy limbing saw, but debating whether to put the time and money into it. I tried to get the 009 running a few years ago, but was unsuccessful. It seems to have pretty healthy compression, but for whatever reason, I couldn't get it running even after a carb overhaul. The 011AVT has a bad rod bearing (actually fallen apart), and needs a new piston and jug. From what I've been able to determine, the crank and rod from the 009 should work in the 011, but the jug on the 009 uses only two bolts while the 011 uses four. So it looks like I will at least need a new jug (and assuming the 009 piston is different) a new piston and rings as well. I have to wonder if it will be worth all the time and expense I'll put into the saw to fix it up. Stihl guys: Are these saws good enough to make it worth it? Assuming I can use the crank and rod from the 009 and need to get a new jug, piston, rings and gaskets, about how much money will I have to spend on this project?

There was a guy on ebay a while back selling 011 piston and (I think) cylinders. You'd see them go for like $20.

As to it's value, and if it's worth it....up to you. Once upon a long time ago, I was going to rebuild an 011. I very quickly realized I could rather rebuild an 020. There's 020's floating around ebay all over the place in various states of repair. You'll have to decide, but for me, for fun, an 011 wouldn't get much more than $30-$40. And that'd just be so I could sell it. Not that they're terrible, horrendous saws, but it's not rebuilding an 020 as far as resale and the saw's capability.

I have an 011 saw that I rebuilt the carb on a year ago. It ran GREAT! The next day I restarted it and it smoked like mad and had no bar oil in the tank. I took it apart and found the casting between the oil & fuel tanks had corroded and now had a hole in it. Saw is sitting on a shelf REALLY disassembled. I have stolen a few parts from it while looking for an affordable crankcase. I am probably not going to rebuild it, so if you need a great donor saw, make an offer. Good luck, Bill

Oops! Meant 009.........

Well, my reasoning behind doing this is that I'm trying to get down to just saws that I can get parts for locally. The Stihl dealer is just a couple miles up the road, so naturally I lean towards Stihls. I can also get parts in town for my Echo (tho it's getting pretty old now), and my Tanaka isn't quite as old and I can also get parts fairly locally (about 35 miles each way). However I have no source anywhere near local for my Jonsereds, so if I fix up the 011 I can sell the Jonsereds. They both have 16" bars, and I have a couple of 14" bars that will fit the 011 and I could put a 16" on it as well, so between it and the Echo and Tanaka I'll still be in good shape in the 14"-16" saw range. And if it really comes down to it, I have a couple of the old little red Crapsman/Poulan saws with 14" and 16" bars.
Bill, I will contact you by PM on that 011.

009 stihl help

hey saw people:
anyone know the best way to put the needle bearings back around the crank on an 009, I did not know they would fall out when i pull the cylinder off to put new rings in it. I will look at the reviews tomorrow. thanks

Heavy grease on the crank pin and place the needles one at a time, a tie wrap around them after getting them all in place helps hold them until ready to put the cylinder on.
Pioneerguy600

thanks 600:
went out my shop and thats the first thing i did with grease worked great.
then I .got online and saw your reply about the grease.

Good luck if you decide to keep them, I gave up on my 009 and sold it on ebay. My poulan fits in where it used to be. I would try to use the parts off of the 011 to get the 009 running if the 009 already has good compression. GOOD LUCK and have fun.

Latest posts

Back