Questions on Ivey and Sthil climbing saws???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froggy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well first of all I'd like to say my bad for yelling. I didn't realize that all caps meant yelling. What do you all think about all this rain?? It's laid it on North Carolina. I've got a couple of questions. What is the best cure for poision ivey? I've tried every thing nothing seems to beat it. Also I'd like to know what you guys think of the 200t vs the 020t. Do you think sthil has made a great improvement in the balance or weight of the saw? Is the saw worth replacing the 020t? I think that the 020t is one of the best saws out there, and I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on the differences. ny

Ivy

If you are asking the best cure, ask your doctor. Bill had to get steroid shots for two weeks cause he had such a bad reaction to the poison ivy. Avoid the ivy if you can next time. I'm not allergic to the stuff. Caps are yelling and for the sthil, it's nice to have lots of toys.

It's the same saw w/ different gas cap, Stihl just changed the numbering system.

Try a Husky 335XPT Cali special- I hear they are great- should outcut a 020, stock. baileys-online.com

I got int othe p-ivey bad twice this year, it is not fun. In fact it was plain misearable for about 2-3 weeks. I got a steriod cream from my DR, he gave me enough to last several years. I have read the lit on the Tecnu stuff, and it really sounds good, I would try that. The Steroid cream worked ok, but it just helped with the itching, it didn't make the blisters go away. I did hear that the shots work much better than the cream. Dr said he only likes to give those shots when people are real bad off.

I really like Stihl saws, but my little 335cali is a great saw, I wouldn't trade it for the 200t.

Greg

I've gotten into poison oak or sumack or something a couple times this year. Not sure exactly which one, but it had leaves in groupings of 3. I used an aloe lotion typically sold for sunburn or after-tan and it not only helped reduce the itching but kept my skin from getting all dry and flakey the next week. The one time I didn't use it, I peeled the next week like a sunburn.

poison ivy

Its best to be avoided ( leaves of 3 let it be.) but if cant be tech nu works well if applied before starting to work in it.There is also something new on the market called Zanfel or zanfeb I believe u need a prescription. is a pill .Like I said Is best to be avoided.

Problem with Georgia, Fla, SC, NC, ALA, even Arkansas is that ivy. I've had to cut and rip it out from entire live oak canopies, it's hard to avoid and many jobs are just for that - new homes going in under old growth, they want it down.

There's a product you can slother on BEFORE you climb. My mind went zittt this morning on a hard climb so I can't think right now, I'll try to post Sunday or something. What day is it now?

See?

Even if you don't contact the ivy someone in the crew will or it even leaves oils all over everything, including the steering wheel of the chipper truck - ropes especially. Some people are immune, I believe i got that way after working with it for so long. Other's can have near fatal reactions. Benadryl again too, the all purpose good goo.

Gotta get this brain to fire again. Have to go back and climb this afternoon - should've stayed up there until done but hey - I'm independent.

I would suggest oral ivy. $16 for a small bottle, take 3 - 5 drops in a small glass of water each night and you should be fine. I have been around poison ivy after getting on this stuff and have succumbed to no rashes. However I must say that I have only been exposed to small amounts of the vine while on the drops.

For the itching, stick the body part with the rash in the hottest water you can stand. There will be this intense feeling, I'm not sure how to discribe it othe rthan to say it's really good or really bad, that's your body releasing the histamine. After about 20 or 30 seconds the sensation will go away because all the histamine is used up. Afterwards, you will feel no itching for some time.

Water rinses the oils off things, not soap. If you see you are in some ivy, rinse right away.

I usually wash area with hot water and dial soap several times a day and take pretisone pills I have a prescription for them I get it about 15 times a year only last a couple days

sorry, but english/american mis understanding happening!!, i've heard people say it, but what does 'my bad' mean????????

personally i like the ms200T, back home (in UK) we tested 5 of them for stihl, altohugh only 3 made it back to them.

Each one had slightly different features, nothing major, just different shapped handles, switches etc - i thought it was good they thought about this stuff in that much detail and field tested it.

to be honest though the design has definatly proved its self over the years there not much else they can do to it, other than make it lighter and stronger.

they took note of what we said and many of the features we liked they kept and visa versa - although they ignored my sujestion of electric start and lazer guidence!!!!!!

what i mainly like about stihl is there robustnis, they seam to take just about all the abuse we threw at them - even dropping the accational one out of the tree!!!!

although you have to pays ya monies to get eh, which isn't so good!!!!

Tim Lad, I believe that the syntactical travesty "my bad" translates to American English as 'my mistake'. I'm not certain what it would be in English nor do I know what language it purports to be.;)

Latest posts

Back