Questions on the Mighty Husqvarna 136LE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrufflerJJ

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm playing around with my Husqvarna 136LE ("low emissions") saw. While using it a couple weeks ago to chop down some honeysuckle, it had obvious air leak symptoms (racing, failure to idle without stalling).

I found a leaking crankshaft bearing seal, and am replacing that. I swapped out the original carb for an empty shell version, and plan to rebuild the carb just for grins.

This saw's cylinder uses a "Insulator - Heat", which seems to be a stamped sheet metal insert that goes into the exhaust port of the cylinder. It's part #27 in the attached picture.

Two questions:

1) WHY does the saw need some sort of heat insulator? None of my other Huskies have them. Yes, I know this is basically a rebadged Poulan, but it just seems odd that they added another oddball part to this saw. It's already got an aluminum muffler backplate/heat shield, along with a muffler gasket.

2) Do you see any problem with removing the heat insulator so that I might port the saw a bit so as to enhance its mighty engine? Yes, I know it's like polishing a turd, but such is life!

Im guessing some sort of (lame) part of the emissions stuff? ditch it and proceed is what i would do, as well as gut the muffler obviously.

The replacement muffler I installed has already been gutted. I also put new (teensy tiny diameter) fuel line on it.

Poulan used the steel exhaust port inserts on all their clamshells for quite a few years. I remove them when I'm modify the exhaust port obviously. I suspect the purpose is to keep the exhaust gases hotter longer to try to burn up more of the lost fuel, but that is just a guess.

there should be a little rubber white piece that seals off the impulse for the carb. i highly highly highly recommend that you replace that also

Yup. I had already replaced it, as I do with Husky 51's.

Of course, I "cheated." Rather than spending $4-$6-$10 for a scuzzy little 1/2" long piece of silicone rubber tubing, I'm trying a different approach. I bought feet of the stuff on eBay, and cut a section to try in the saw. NOTE: the Husky part number for the impulse seal adapter used in the Husky 51 is different than the one used in the MIGHTY 136LE.

Of course.

Why would you want to have common parts to minimize SKUs & simplify part inventories? How silly of me.

The seal adapter for the 136LE is a chunk of silicone tubing approx 8.5mm OD & 5mm ID. For the Husky 51, it's about 8 (8.2??)mm OD and 4.5mm ID. The silicone hose that I have here at the house fits the Husky 51 dimensions. I'm trying a chunk of it in the 136LE, even though it's a tighter fit over the carb adapter nipple. My only concerns with this cut-to-length approach are the temperature resistance of the cheap generic Chinese silicone tubing, and whether it will tend to split over time (from having scissors-cut ends, rather than smooth molded ends).

I bet you find that's a very nice saw when you get it done. My 142 had a cat muffler that I replaced with a non-cat 141 unit, slightly opened up. It's a great little saw and very nice to run. It's one of my few saws with a stock engine, and I have no intention of modifying it.

It's my smallest/lightest saw (tying the MS250 for weight), and it was handy when cutting through the overgrown honeysuckle.

Latest posts

Back