Quick Stix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B_Turner

B_Turner

Addicted to ArboristSite
I spent the morning cutting in the pouring ran. Recently I bought a set of those hoaky quick stix nylon rods to see if they gave me a better frame of refrence for level and square (not for length) when cutting square blocks. I learned two things this morning:

1) I think I will try a rear rain flap for my helmet sometime. Wore raingear but naturally water runs down the back of my helmet into my jacket. Never tried one.

2) The quick stix didn't seem to be any better than just by eye of level and square. No biggie, just thought I'd see. And within a few minutes of trying them I forgot about it and layed the saw on a log to check the fuel level. Broke off the nylon stick. Don't recommend them to anyone as they are very flimsy where they are threaded. Eyeballing works pretty good for firewood length anyway as long as you check every so often.

Kind of funny, it was so wet and muddy on site that I left my 7900 in my toolbox so it would stay clean and used my 371. I'll get over that soon, but not there yet.

blis

Addicted to ArboristSite
B_Turner said:

1) I think I will try a rear rain flap for my helmet sometime. Wore raingear but naturally water runs down the back of my helmet into my jacket. Never tried one.

that flap is MUST when cutting either in rain or snow... nothings more nasty than getting a fist sized chunk of snow on your neck...

B_Turner

B_Turner

Addicted to ArboristSite
blis said:
that flap is MUST when cutting either in rain or snow... nothings more nasty than getting a fist sized chunk of snow on your neck...

I agree. But it's one of those things I don't think about except when I'm out in bad weather. Once back to the shop it's out of my mind until next time.

Anyone used a generic helmet flap that fits more than one brand of helmet? How would it attach if the original helmet was not designed for a flap?

Last edited:
SRT-Tech

SRT-Tech

ArboristSite Guru
those sticks seemd kind of hokey to me too.....I get far more enjoyment out of using my Spencer log tape and wood crayon to mark tickmarks on the wood. A half hour of marking all the logs, then fire up the saw an go nuts.

vroom

Urbicide

Urbicide

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
B_Turner said:
Anyone used a generic helmet flap that fits more than one brand of helmet? How would it attach if the original helmet was designed for a flap?
I have never used a "flap" but I do wear a hard hat every day. Just wrap it around the rear side of the hard hats suspension so that it is underneath the hard hat itself. You can use safety pins, velcro strips, sewn in snaps, duct tape, etc.:popcorn: