Quoting in Threads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never quote pics....(unless it's a picture of Heather Locklear...)

heather-locklear-back-on-melrose-place.jpg

I often edit the quoted portion so that you know exactly what I'm talking about.

+1: this is what I try to do. Only include the photo if it is relevant to my comments.

Sometimes you guys are so quick that another post gets inserted between what I am commenting on and my post (see Heather, above) - so it is helpful to quote part of a post to tie into it, rather than to the last post.

I do recall a thread where I responded to what I felt was a condescending comment by a member. He went back, edited out that part of his post, then posted a follow-up comment that made my post look dumb and out of place (you know what I mean, more than normal). If I had quoted him completely it would have been documented in the record. So quote the whole thing if you are paranoid, or a lawyer, or something.

Philbert

Who are you? A relative of Emily Postnews?
Why does everybody "quote" so much in threads? <snip>
Quoting let's us focus on the point we are referring to,and the person we are replying to, rather than the ton of other off-topic sawdust found on about any thread on this forum.
...also... why does everybody also leave the "pic tags" in when they quote? So we get the same pics over and over and over again in a thread.
[SARCASM]Because we all love pictures and if they were good once they will be better four times!

I especially like the few threads I've seen where if I hold the "page dn" button down it flickers past like a movie, only interrupted by a couple of (usually meaningless) comments
and the 50 line signatures where people proudly display every chainsaw they ever owned or want to own.
[/SARCASM]

<snip>
Again, just me bein' me... curious... :dizzy:

Gary

I did not start using the internet until the late 80's, and we used to have to go to sites by IP address. Sigs over 4 lines were frowned on, pictures were sent by email, after you scanned them in. There were no GUI's, Usenet was all character based, usually on monochrome screens. We got about 90% of the info across that we do today using 1% of the bandwidth.

The admin's should set it up so when one mashes the "quote" button images are not copied.

Great thread Gary! I agree, we all saw the pictures the first time!:dizzy:

JJ.. Don't know how old that picture is but man is she still HOT!

Last edited:
Why does everybody "quote" so much in threads? I cansee where you are quoting from earlier in the thread to a post that is relevent to your post. Or you are using part of a quote to answer with your post. But every single time to reply?

...also... why does everybody also leave the "pic tags" in when they quote? So we get the same pics over and over and over again in a thread.

I am just curious... I have been browsing through some very pic heavy threads, and the threads would be a lot more easy to view without seeing the same dang pics every 3 posts. Especially when someone posts up a lot of pics... then the very next post someone will "quote" and all the pics show up again...

Gary

Great question. I can tell you the items you talk about seem to occur on just about ever forum I frequent... its also a pet peeve of mine... :clap:

That one drives me crazy as well!

Muuuuuuah.... :biggrinbounce2:

the pic tag thing bothers me and i often do not quote bc i don't like them and didn't know how you could quote without having the pics come along for the ride. can someone ellucidate this topic?

Delete the images when you quote. I often edit the quoted portion so that you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I try to get the pics out and leave the qoute in that I am refering to, although I have to admit I have left them in on occaision (just being lazy I spose). It does get annoying as hell when you've gotta flip thru pic after same pic. I'll quit being lazy.

Just go through the quote and delete the pics... goto a thread with pics and quote a post with some pics in it... you will see the pic tags. :) They are the [/B] tags.

Gary[/QUOTE]

[quote="sawbones, post: 1823319"]This can be frustrating specialy on a slower connection. some of my bucket pics are around 150 kb but some are 600 kb. image size aprox 800x1200.

good to see but tougher to load.

We ALL HAVE THE PREVIEW OPTION when qouting. trial and error..

start at the bottom pic address and then backspace up to were it is in context to your reply. leave qoute sign at bottom and top and your good.

also great to edit out extra text too, like I did here..[/QUOTE]

[quote="GASoline71, post: 1823373"]I'm feelin' a little ornery today Jacob... :)

Gary[/QUOTE]

Me too!!!:cheers:

I wish there was a way for the original poster's subsequent responses to be highlighted somehow. It's always a pain trying to figure out if the problem or question has been resolved or not.

That would be extremely helpful. I hate spending 2 hours reading a post and the orignal question was not responded to by the poster.

Why does everybody "quote" so much in threads? I cansee where you are quoting from earlier in the thread to a post that is relevent to your post. Or you are using part of a quote to answer with your post. But every single time to reply?

I am just curious... I have been browsing through some very pic heavy threads, and the threads would be a lot more easy to view without seeing the same dang pics every 3 posts. Especially when someone posts up a lot of pics... then the very next post someone will "quote" and all the pics show up again...

Gary

Not quite sure

Gary

i do it so it is very clear as to what im responding to. i have seen threads get sidetracked by a simple missunderstanding...... and it seems some cant even read whats in front of them.

and if you are responding to a pic and pointing something out, its alot easier to keep the pic as your response may be a page or 3 from where the pic is....

there can be multipule conversations/questions/answers going on in a thread so it helps there too.

Serg

HAHAHAHAHAHA! That is one of the funniest posts I have read in a long time... When I start loggin' in Lilliput or cut fire wood for a Barbie Townhouse... I'll consider a shorter bar for BIG wood...

Because you just can't let stuff like this die. :ices_rofl:

Gary

Why Gary, I just don't understand it.... :) And what's this "bi-curious" thing, don't need to know about that. Don't ask, don't tell.

Last edited:
Quotes can be cool when threads start bouncing around. Agree when threads are on topic, a quote just adds wasted repetition.

Dan

why does everybody "quote" so much in threads? I cansee where you are quoting from earlier in the thread to a post that is relevent to your post. Or you are using part of a quote to answer with your post. But every single time to reply?

...also... Why does everybody also leave the "pic tags" in when they quote? So we get the same pics over and over and over again in a thread.

I am just curious... I have been browsing through some very pic heavy threads, and the threads would be a lot more easy to view without seeing the same dang pics every 3 posts. Especially when someone posts up a lot of pics... Then the very next post someone will "quote" and all the pics show up again...

Again, just me bein' me... Curious... :dizzy:

Gary
i never quote pics....(unless it's a picture of heather locklear...)

heather-locklear-back-on-melrose-place.jpg
:agree2:

+1

Latest posts

Back