Race chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoping not to get off track here but do any saw races get run using control chains? At least then you'll see the fastest saw and not the fastest chain. I'd never be any good at racing otherwise because;

a) I'd never spend USD$150+ on a chain apart from maybe Carbide and...

b) I don't have multiple hours available to make and test my own chains and...

c) It wouldn't handle a dirty old Redgum log very well :)

Best to get yourself some chisel and practice square filling. When the cutter gets toward the end, do some more work to the chain.
I agree,when the chain is near the end of its useful life anyway why not experment.By then some of the crome will be honed off and provided the rakers are adjusted to the kerf it should cut well up to the point the teeth start breaking off.
More than likely most of what devoloped into race chain was learned in the field.

Grinding race chains/reasonable

Hi just wondering if anyone out there is willing to make me a cross cut race chain.
To suit a ms460 cutting 14inch blocks.
I haven't brought the bar yet so I'm after opinion's for size chain and bar etc.
I can pay for the chain to be made.And shipped to Australia.
I understand there is alot of work behind a race chain.

If i cant get someone to make a race chain.
What would be good chain to race with?

I've been grinding a simple race chain from stock chain for about 25 years. Safe as possible and fast. With factory drag height, and they are fast. Won't last long in the woods though. No rivet grinding, it is stock as possible. Here are some pics of .404 full chisel. I grind any size or pitch. Shipped anywhere in the world. PM me for prices, very reasonable.:chainsaw:

I've been grinding a simple race chain from stock chain for about 25 years. Safe as possible and fast. With factory drag height, and they are fast. Won't last long in the woods though. No rivet grinding, it is stock as possible. Here are some pics of .404 full chisel. I grind any size or pitch. Shipped anywhere in the world. PM me for prices, very reasonable.:chainsaw:

Hmmmm! :dizzy:

Andy

Yup, that not race chain Ohio man.:dizzy:

I agree,when the chain is near the end of its useful life anyway why not experment.By then some of the crome will be honed off and provided the rakers are adjusted to the kerf it should cut well up to the point the teeth start breaking off.

I've always found that chain cuts faster and faster if set up properly as it gets closer to the end of it's life :) Just when you're absolutely flying it's time to throw it in the bin, or the cutters snap off :(

To me that looks like just a stock chain with the back ground off the cutter :confused: I can do that on my grinder with Dinasaw wheels in 2 minutes.
I have to be honest but I doubt it would be any, if at all, faster than stock chain. Why would it be apart from slightly less drag from the back of the cutter? I'm no expert but the words "ground" and "race chain" don't go in the same sentence. Maybe "meticulously hand crafted with a file for hours" and "race chain" may sound better...

Last edited:
Mostly a chain cuts faster towards the end due to the reduction in width as the tooth is filed back. On smaller lower HP saws works well right back behind the rear rivet. On bigger saws say 10-12hp and up it is often better to keep more tooth and not file back so far. I think the height of the tooth and chip clearing starts to become a factor. Gearing can change that, if running a low (small) gear a more forward bigger cutter will do a better job of getting the HP to the wood, but gear up with a big sprocket and a smaller cutter near the back ends up faster.

There are a few simple things that can be done to a work chain and gain quite a bit of cutting speed without really hurting how long it will last. Maybe only worth while for someone doing production felling or tree work. Just the same I don't mind spending a few extra minutes on a chain just for cutting fire wood for 2-3 families.

Your style race chain would be a little faster than a stock out of the box chain but it would only win a race between you and your buddy running a stock chain on identical saws. IMO.
Pioneerguy600

Here are a couple pics another forum member sent me. I'm trying to figure out what holds this chain together!!!!!

1018306422_XcnPy-M.jpg

1018306416_s9f7j-M.jpg

Here are a couple pics another forum member sent me. I'm trying to figure out what holds this chain together!!!!!

Yea, that is pushing it a bit on the tie straps and rivet heads.
Pioneerguy600

I see no rivet heads at all to hold it together. I'd think the whole chain would just fly apart immediately.

Last edited:
Well the rivets tops realy don't hold it together, alot of it is just the expansion of the whole rivet head in the hole in the tie strap.

None the less that is an ugly chain, likely not very safe to run and the cutter shown is dull to boot.

All that grinding on the sides is for what? the chain does not look to be thinned but enough to take the chrome off and the cutter is well forward so it won't do much anyhow. Rivets only really become a problem when the cutters get taken way back and are thinned. There then is a point where the chain/bar will bind in the cut and thinning the bar and rivets then makes a difference.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back