Raker tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
??? Better than the tang end of a used Sawzall blade ???

Philbert
Compressed air works wonders in that groove, and doesn't scratch.;) I also do most of my cutting in backyard and have the benefit of my garage being right there. I'm sure it's a little different out in the woods. I've got the Oregon .025" center drop style gauge and those are my preference at this point. I've often wondered what Struggle mentioned earlier about the gauges accuracy, pretty cheap little piece made of stamped steel. I wasted a lot of time trying to find one of those Stihl "end fork" style gauges because of the .026" spec on the Stihl chains, what a waste of time! They work great on a perfectly level surface, not so well on the elyptical shape of a typical guide bar.

Compressed air works wonders in that groove, and doesn't scratch.

Nothing beats compressed air for that 'final clean'!

I actually use a variety of groove cleaning tools. Even custom filed a painter's 'multi-tool'/putty knife for a shop version. Toothpicks for the oil holes. Pipe cleaners for 'behind' the nose sprocket.

The sawzall blades are just a fun, improvised solution that works in the field. No sweat if they are lost. I will have to try the nylon cable ties idea.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back