Ran a 2 way splitter Sunday

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
I went to a charity wood cut Sunday, and my local OPE dealer brought along a GNE 20 ton 2 way log splitter. GNE is a distribution company that handles lots of different OPE, out of Rogers, MN. I don't know who makes this splitter, but the only site I found it on says pump, steel, and beam are made in USA. The motor is a Honda GC160, and I assume hoses, valve, wheels, etc. are "offshore" pieces.

Here's a pic from Great Northern Equipment 11571 - 20-Ton 2-Way Honda-Powered Gas Log Splitter My dealer mentioned a price of "about a grand", I'd have to investigate more to know an exact price, but I'm sure it'd be less than the price in the link.

attachment.php

I and a bunch of other guys put about 5-6 hours on it, and split Gawd knows how much wood (the skidloader kept hauling away our split piles, and we just kept moving it around to new mountains of rounds). It never failed to split, didn't spend a lot of time shifted into low speed, and got probably an hour and a half of splitting on a tank of fuel.

Likes: Once you get used to it, it's fast. Maybe not quite Super split fast, but a maybe 30% more productive than a 22 ton Speeco that'd be in the same price range. It does take some unlearning to not automatically go to retract the ram after you finish a split.

Control (simple single lever) is pretty well placed, easy to reach while working.

GC Honda started easily, and ran flawlessly. I do wish for a manual throttle though. Fairly quiet.

Bark, dirt and gunk are basically self cleaning off the ram/slide assembly.

Dislikes: Plastic fitting on the back bottom of the tank for the oil pickup - BAD place to use plastic, would be easy to snap.

Round bar stock grates on the log tables sometimes hung up the wood when you were trying to slide it around. I'd put solid sheet steel over em and solve that problem. I'd also add a platform to set the other half of the round out of the way on bigger stuff, just my preference and easy enough to do if you're mechanically inclined.

Crooked sawed pieces liked to slide off the push plates, there were a couple buttons welded to them, but I'd like to see a few more.

The plate that mounts the control valve (remember I liked where it was), is close to the back push plate, and could be a good place to smash a finger if one wasn't paying attention.

It could be 4" taller. Bigger tires, or a simple lift kit where the ram assembly bolts to the axle/tank assembly would work.

After running a while, I noticed the paint was cracked on the back of the 1"x3" block that the cylinder pins to on the frame, but I didn't see any cracking in the metal, I think it was just that the paint didn't flex when the steel did. It is a concern, but at this point I don't think it's a serious one.

----

Overall, I like it, quite a bit more than I do the Speeco I ran a couple weeks ago. I think it's on my buy list when that elusive extra money shows up.

There's more pics of it here, but I didn't get any closeups of everything, because my camera pooped out on me on Saturday. I might can swing by Boyd's and get some shots of it later this week.

More pics of it in action in this thread: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/170526-41.htm I'll see if I can get some more of the guys that ran it to chime in here as well.

Thanks for the review Steve. I would have paid more attention if I had known that we had something like that there at the G-T-G.

A.S. Site sponsor Split Fire also sells a two way splitter:

Manufacturers of high quality, custom engineered wood splitters, log splitters and wood chippers. | Split-Fire Sales Inc. Quality Built. High Performance. | Split-Fire - Your Best Choice

- I had seen their banner ad 'splits both ways'. Thought that they were the only models with this feature. Seeing it on their website though, is not the same as seeing/trying one in person.

Philbert

I rented a splitfire this past fall to split some apple. It was rated at 20 ton and had no problem with the most knarly apple pieces. Had a GX engine on it and was pretty fast. I think the price tag to buy the model I used was about $3200.
There's a thread here somewhere about a Powerhorse 2 way splitter from Northern Tool. Cost.....$949. Don't know about Powerhorse quality but the Splitfires are used by most rental companies around here and have a good reputation for quality.

There's a thread here somewhere about a Powerhorse 2 way splitter from Northern Tool. Cost.....$949. Don't know about Powerhorse quality but the Splitfires are used by most rental companies around here and have a good reputation for quality.

Here's the web site for the Powerhorse from Northern tool. Be sure to watch the video.
[video]http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200394095_200394095[/video]

Here's a video on a guy that makes and sells a 4-way wedge for the Powerhorse.

[video=youtube;T0QH323qUUc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0QH323qUUc[/video]

If I were gonna buy a new splitter, I'd seriously have to check out the 20 ton Powerhorse. It even comes with a log table. The log lift is not an option. The guy in the video fabricated it. I don't know about its quality, but at only $949, it seems like a good deal. I'd take a chance on it for personal firewood use. It's small, light (360 lbs), and towable. 58 of 59 reviews at the Northern Tool website are favorable. But ya gotta take these reviews with a grain of salt. I'd go to a HF store to see one before I bought one. Maybe I'd notice something that would change my mind.

Hope this helps.

Don <><

Last edited:
I have owned a split fire for about 4 years.I have split about 35 cords so far and have loaned it out for several more.The only thing I do not like is its low stance.But you can tow it on the highway with out to much threat of upsetting.To over come the low stance,I just wheel it up on two car ramps and block the front.I have both a four way and two way wedge,that can be changed to one or the other in about 15 seconds.It is very well built from Canada with a Honda 6 1/2 HP engine.It will split up to 24 inch long wood. I have had absolutely no problems with this unit.I really like it,I have never had wood it will not split,if it stalls just take a smaller bite. I bet in 4 years it only stalled a dozen times or so.By stalling I mean the ram will not move forward,the engine keeps running.Some of this could have been my problem because they tell you to sharpen the edge of the wedge once in awhile(I never have). Actually a log about 6 to 8 inches, it will shear if you put it side ways on the beam.

The GNE and Powerhorse look identical, except for the Powerhorse motor vs GC Honda on the GNE.

I'd consider a splitfire if a similar model is close on price.

The Splitfire low end model comes with a GC engine and a 4.5 second cylcle time. They say it's for doing up to 50 cord a year. Price is about $2500 at the dealer here in New Brunswick. You can add $ for the same unit with a GX engine. Prices aren't close but quality is a guarantee.
To be honest, if there was a Northern Tool close by I would try the Powerhorse.

Northern Tool started out as Northern Hydraulics, selling hydraulic splitter parts, so they should know their stuff. Their main line is called 'North Star', and looks pretty good. The 'Powerhorse' line is their low price line, and I would would be careful with these: when you start out selling discount parts, then come out with a lower grade line, they are cutting something somewhere.

JMHO

Philbert

GNE is a wholesale dist of OPE that sells to dealers only. Northern Tool is their retail outlet. The main difference between the 2 units is the engine-Honda GC vs Chicom. That and the fact that the GNE unit is assembled and filled with oil-the Powerhorse comes unassembled without fluids. At a list price of $1199 it is not for everyone, but a pretty slick little rig. I'd compare it to a Fiskars splitting axe-You won't split everything with it-But what you do split you will be very productive!!

Northern Tool started out as Northern Hydraulics, selling hydraulic splitter parts, so they should know their stuff. Their main line is called 'North Star', and looks pretty good. The 'Powerhorse' line is their low price line, and I would would be very careful with these: when you start out selling discount parts, then come out with a lower grade line, they are cutting something somewhere.

JMHO

Philbert

A friend bought the two way splitter from NT. He likes it. I've seen it working. He says there's not much it will not split.

GNE is a wholesale dist of OPE that sells to dealers only. Northern Tool is their retail outlet. The main difference between the 2 units is the engine-Honda GC vs Chicom. That and the fact that the GNE unit is assembled and filled with oil-the Powerhorse comes unassembled without fluids. At a list price of $1199 it is not for everyone, but a pretty slick little rig. I'd compare it to a Fiskars splitting axe-You won't split everything with it-But what you do split you will be very productive!!

I am impressed with the 2 way action - it looks very efficient for the right sized wood. I am concerned with the quality and longevity, especially if the 'better' engine is a Honda consumer one, rather than a commercial grade one. It makes me wonder about the quality of the hydraulics and of the things I cannot see.

Philbert

I am impressed with the 2 way action - it looks very efficient for the right sized wood. I am concerned with the quality and longevity, especially if the 'better' engine is a Honda consumer one, rather than a commercial grade one. It makes me wonder about the quality of the hydraulics and of the things I cannot see.

Philbert

As my grandfather told me at a young age-"You get what you pay for!"

That statment is only true if you don't have a Ernie in your back pocket. He has split everthing but one elm crotch with my Fiskars, he then noodled it with his 7900 then he could split it.

Beefie

I ended up buying that GNE. Sorry Steve! You'll have to get ahold of me if you want to look at it again. I've used the heck out of it since getting it, the thing I like is that it moves very easily {when extend the ram out the back} with one person to stay close to the pile. I have gotten 3 hours out of that little fuel tank, but I'm unable to run it like we did when we had 3 people running it though! I can't wait til one of my family help me someday, we'll split a bunch of wood in a hour then!

See how ya are?

Firewood guys, Fatness is a friend of mine, went to school with him, and he's been along on a bunch of our charity cuts for Interfaith. All around good guy, and not half bad as a pole shed builder either. Welcome to AS!

Boyd said he got 2 more in, and is willing to leave one in the crate for me if I want the "unassembled" price. I just gotta figure out which one of my many piles of moldy money I am rumored to have I want to part with to buy it.

I've used the 20 ton powerhorse for a short bit. It was on my short list when shopping for a splitter, but opted for the speeco/huskee 22 being a better fit going vert/horz. To say the two way splitters are faster is subjective. They may be faster in woods like elm/gum/sycamore where a full stroke is necessary but not so in other wood like red oak that pop open in a few inches with the right wedge.

Last edited:
One fine review Steve ! :msp_thumbup:

I've been begging ( yes, beg, no pride :msp_confused:) for a review of the DR "Dual Action 10 Ton Electric Splitter" or the Ramsplitter 16 Ton electric--no takers yet.

Since most of us know how a fixed, thicker wedge splitter operates, how did you all feel about the build and long term durability of a moving, thin wedge ? Any side movement or 'looseness' ?

If the 2-way got stuck in a knotty, stringy, or crotched piece, how did the wedge ( or user ) get "unstuck " ? By itself ? Or, some effort ? When a fixed wedge gets hung up, the log has to be pried up or hammered out of the wedge; a PITA .

Any negatives on the thinner 2-way wedge engineering ?

Thx.

One fine review Steve ! :msp_thumbup:

I've been begging ( yes, beg, no pride :msp_confused:) for a review of the DR "Dual Action 10 Ton Electric Splitter" or the Ramsplitter 16 Ton electric--no takers yet.

Since most of us know how a fixed, thicker wedge splitter operates, how did you all feel about the build and long term durability of a moving, thin wedge ? Any side movement or 'looseness' ?

If the 2-way got stuck in a knotty, stringy, or crotched piece, how did the wedge ( or user ) get "unstuck " ? By itself ? Or, some effort ? When a fixed wedge gets hung up, the log has to be pried up or hammered out of the wedge; a PITA .

Any negatives on the thinner 2-way wedge engineering ?

Thx.

As stated previously logbutcher, I've had no experience with Powerhorse products but the Splitfire 2 way has a narrow wedge and when splitting gnarly apple, cherry and ash with it there was no problem with it getting stuck.
As far a reliability as I said before most rental companies here in New Brunswick use the Splitfire because of their reliability.

Latest posts

Back