Ran a 2 way splitter Sunday

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks nice! One off, or a production model?

Philbert

No, one off. Most everything I do is a one off! People generally like what I do but the price of what I make can't even come close to the stuff that's mass produced. Some people see the value in that while others don't NEED that kind of quality. What would last for 20 years in the hands of a homeowner wouldn't make a month in the commercial or rental market. Most things I build could generally withstand anything you could throw at it, but that comes with a price unfortunately. I just got done building a sawmill for member 'StubbornDutchman'. He could have bought a mid-level Cooks mill for what he has in the one we built, but you could also park a truck on it and saw it up! :msp_biggrin:

that briggs on that looks an awful lot like a kohler...?

DANG! You're right! I forgot what I had! I rebuilt it 15 years ago and put in on the shelf. I had plans for it, kinda/sorta, but never got around to the project I had planned with it. Dragged it with me when I moved to Michigan from New England and finally used it for the splitter. Not a particularly economical engine but plenty of power for the job! Those were the days when Kohler knew the difference in their product line and kept the toilets separated from the engines!

Last edited:
ok ive just never seen a briggs thats looked like that...
and everytime i see these splitters i dont get the point of the v shaped end stops??
just seems like it make the log prone to slip out of the splitter?
just wondering if theres an actual reason/theroy for it?

DANG! You're right! I forgot what I had! I rebuilt it 15 years ago and put in on the shelf. I had plans for it, kinda/sorta, but never got around to the project I had planned with it. Dragged it with me when I moved to Michigan from New England and finally used it for the splitter. Not a particularly economical engine but plenty of power for the job! Those were the days when Kohler knew the difference in their product line and kept the toilets separated from the engines!

its not just kohler, id say they are still one of the "better" engines made these days. "better" used very very lightly hahah
theyre all junk these days
im using an ooold wisconsin thd on a splitter im building, 2 cylinder, now thats an engine! 200+ lbs. of engine :rock:

o... i dont get the point of the v shaped end stops??
just seems like it make the log prone to slip out of the splitter?
just wondering if theres an actual reason/theroy for it?

I did it because I got 3 times the strength of a plate with half the material and bracing, and I needed something that could be bolted on the far end to allow the cylinder to be removed if needed. It has a couple of 'ears' on either side to prevent the log from slipping off one way or another and there is a 'V' that the wedge fits into at the end of its' stroke so you don't end up with an 'almost split' piece of wood stuck to the wedge.

Ran the PowerHorse version today for a while. Took everything we fed it.

Definitely something I would look at for a small splitter (although I would prefer the Honda motor).

Someone commented that it would be nicer if it had a longer bed, so that you could place a 16 inch round 'on deck' while it was splitting another 16 inch round. Of course, then people would try to split longer rounds, so it would need a more powerful ram and motor . . . .

Philbert

Sure wish Bliss was still around. That was the grand daddy of the two way splitters. I paid $3600 for mine back in the early 80's. It was a pto, 3 point splitter, that old man Bliss said took 40HP to run. I ran it on a John Deere 2010 diesel. Sorry I let that one get away, the tractor too, Joe.

I have the same splitter only in Blue paint and different stickers. Only mine is set up for the skid steer

Now that is sweet!!!!! I'm super jealous! Where in the world did you get that?

FB

I actually ran across it on craigslist. I was looking at building this exact thing but for what the guy wanted I couldn't build it.
Northern Tool caries the splitter itself. Around $750. And the quick attach plates can be had for around a hundred dollars
Misc steel to make the brackets, hydraulic connectors, etc. Plus time and welding supplies I figured I would have about 1100-1200 into building one and he wanted 1000 for it. He figured he maybe had 2 cord run though it but by the looks of it I dought even that much.

UPDATE: Northern Tool no longer sells their PowerHorse Two-Way Splitter. But a rep said that this will still be available as a GNE (consumer) product and in a Dosko (commercial) model.

Philbert

If a guy has the welder they would be pretty easy to build. Looking at mine, nothing to it really.

I built a electric log splitter so it would operate in the building The only people I know who makes a electric log splitter is Ram Splitter at Rockford IL I took there idea and beefed it up there log splitter is 16 ton 2 1/2 hp motor 2 stage pump mine is tonage I don't know but it has a 3 stage pump a 5 hp electric motor. I have never had any thing stop it. A fellow told me he could figure the tonage but never got back with me. I love that electric people don't ask me to loan it to them for free

I built a electric log splitter so it would operate in the building The only people I know who makes a electric log splitter is Ram Splitter at Rockford IL I took there idea and beefed it up there log splitter is 16 ton 2 1/2 hp motor 2 stage pump mine is tonage I don't know but it has a 3 stage pump a 5 hp electric motor. I have never had any thing stop it. A fellow told me he could figure the tonage but never got back with me. I love that electric people don't ask me to loan it to them for free

Many SS's are run with electric motors. they are sold that way or you can swap out the gas motor for a electric one.

(Bump)

I lobbied the Northern Tool guys at the State Fair to bring the 2-way splitter back to their selection, but with a Honda engine.

Apparently, Great Northern Equipment (GNE) still sells it under the 'Brave' name, as well as in a heavy duty version under the 'Dosko' name.

Philbert

Back