Ran across an interesting electric chainsaw; Stihl E30 220/440 volt power

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What does the bicycle pedal do - pull the saw through the cut like a milling machine?

Philbert

not sure if this translates 100% but this is the ad

MUSEUM product. Very rarely saw the electricity 380V, 545 mm long sword (outer part). Besides attached extension. Pedal of the bike is added later to facilitate the measurement of wood in sawdust, which can be removed.
Stihl saws started working on the musket around 1924 and were the first to elektiko later on gasoline. Call for the price, I do not answer to mails

It's clearly set up for the North American market given the 60Hz rating.

Good point, most of the rest of the world use 50Hz.

It's an industrial saw for use in either a big timber yard or a place like an abattoir.
There's been threads on them here in the past, one of my customers uses air operated saw/s in their pet food abattoir, although I think they might be recip ones now.
I know they went through quite a few cheap electric chain saws when first starting up, then a number of pneumatic ones too. They all died premature deaths.

415V, three phase power is fairly common in houses here in Australia, mostly it was installed for large air conditioning systems, eg. 18kw cooling capacity and up, although we can now utilise 14kw single phase systems thanks to DC inverter tech in the compressors.
Our single phase power is 240V.

Hooking it up in Star will only draw a little over 5amps a phase, so cable size isn't an issue. (bottom diagram on wiring plate where all the phase points meet)
Wiring it in Delta will give far more torque and speed, but current draw goes up quite a bit.

Strange plug, unlike any three phase plug I've seen, but then all our single phase plugs and wall plates are different right across the world too.

Like Tornado already indicated, these saws make a lot of torque and can pull a 35" bar easily. They were popular with saw mills for a while, which used them to cut wood bundles or the like or in closed locations where exhaust gases or noise are not desired. 3 phase is very common around here, I have it in my workshop also.

The Stihl E30 is very heavy and not a saw you would like to tote around for more than 10 minutes. And if your pants get caught, I don't think this baby will show mercy.

not sure if this translates 100% but this is the ad

MUSEUM product. Very rarely saw the electricity 380V, 545 mm long sword (outer part). Besides attached extension. Pedal of the bike is added later to facilitate the measurement of wood in sawdust, which can be removed.
Stihl saws started working on the musket around 1924 and were the first to elektiko later on gasoline. Call for the price, I do not answer to mails

I can help with that a little. :)

MUSEUM product. Very rarely saw, runs on electricity 380V, 545 mm long bar (outer part). Extension (cord?) supplied with the saw. Pedal of the bike was added later to help measure wood, and can be removed.
Stihl started making chainsaws around 1924, first ones were electric and later on gasoline. Call for the price, I do not answer to mails.

Stihl E30

Hi, I to have an E30 chainsaw, this was a garage find, but in a very poor state, my machine is indeed 3ph 440volts this was to suit the European market, it came with an awsome 36" bar and chain, as I have three phase in my garage I have been able to run this machine, it's quite noisey, considerably more than my 070, but that could be because of the condition of the saw.
The power lead has to be at least 1.5mm x 5core (Earth, Neutral and 3 phases for the UK regs). I can imagine once up and running correctly there ain't a lot that will stop this.
As a collector this will make a valued addition to my stock. However as this machine is in a very poor state I have my work cut out to restore (I like a challenge)

View attachment 294589

single phase motors need some sort of scheme to mimic an offset
phase in order to create the rotating field (north/south) within the stator.

The 3/poly phase currents are offset in a manor that give the effect
like a true rotating field in the stator windings.

Think of the old movie marque lights seeming to be chasing
around the sign frame.
All it was is just three or four groups in a specific interlaced patten
with correct spacing to take advantage
of the power blinking on-off-on-off
so as to give an illusion of the chasing pattern (going in one direction)
but note* if you swap out the wires a bit , you can get the effect to reverse.
And That's exactly how you revers a standard 3 phase motor.

As a result of this, 3 ph motors do not need any offset windings
in the stator to create an artificial field offset to cause rotation.

But single phase motors do need field offsets to induce rotation
offsets can be created in a varity of fashions such as the shape
and skew of the stator ...ther's several ways
Capacitor start and capcitor run are a
couple and may be combied in a few difrent ways.

But the good old offset start windings style gives the most starting torque
the drawback to this is the requirment for a way to depower the start windings as the motor approches it's intended running speed.
Sothat requires a switchout circuit
and also the circuit needs to automaticaly switch back in
each time the motor is restarted.
Generaly the switing is done by rotating weight in a centrifugal switch.
(think of sorta like the fly weights in a steam eng governer)

A side effect of all this is that if you (over) load the motor till it drops rpms
below the the cut in point of the switch, the start windings will get power
again and that's bad because the offset of magnetic fields is detrimntal
to sutaned running at that speed and it will overheat the motor.

so a three phase is lighter, more efficant and needs no elaborate
revesing controls, just swap any two phase wires and motor goes other direction
and can do reversing with musch less heayting than a single phase.

I been awake all night again so i'm surethis writin g looks like it.
but hopefilly it gives you something of an idea
Proly find some good reading onlie but I 'm too tired to look at monent.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back