Ranchers... 55 or 455...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SawGarage

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a 55 Rancher now, and a guy wants to trade me a couple hr old 455...

my 55 is like new:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I dunno if I'm a fan of :

the tool-less tensioning
the PLASTIC case
(cat in the muffler??:dizzy:)

opinions?

Jay

55 Rancher...decent saw

455 Rancher....TRASH/JUNK/GARBAGE...

455 Rancher is to Husky, like Obama is to the U.S.

One Big *** Mistake America

55/455

Sir, I own a 55 and it is a great saw.However the 455 is also a decent saw. Many people here put them down but if you were to do a google search (like I have) then you would see that 80% that own this saw are impressed with it.If the 455 is an X torque then it does not have a catalytic converter.My next saw will be a 455/460. You did not mention how much wood or the diameter of trees that it will be used for.Judging from the pictures of your 55 I suspect that this saw is not used that hard. JMO, For a general use then the 455 would suit your requirements. A lot of us do not have the $$$ for a 359/357 ext. For a part time saw then it would suit the bill, Ken

I have a 455. Most of the people who post bad stuff about them never lived with one for more than the time it takes to read and repost some supposed anti plastic bigot / expert opinion.

Its a very nice little saw for a wide range of cutting situations. Doesn't vibrate enough to notice and is very good on fuel...doesn't use much. I've run mine year around for about a year and a half. All temperatures all seasons from brush to felling 24inch diameter Ash & Maple trees. My only complaint is with the 20inch bar & chain which seems to be more prone to throwing its chain in the brush than the 16 and 18 inch bars I've used in the same situation on the same saw.

Ranchers... 55 or 455...

I've owned both the 455 and the 55 Rancher, and I preferred the 55 Rancher.
That being said though, I ended up selling them both, bought a 346XP NE and it clearly stomps 'em both.
I managed to get a nice one off ebay for $280 shipped. So if you're patient, you can find a good deal on one.
If I had to choose between the 455 or the 55, I'd go with a late model 55 Rancher (the one with the improved transfers which it looks like you already have).
Hope this Helps!

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

for a smaller fire wood saw (90% of the trees around here are under 20" it seems...) I think it runs and cuts like hell! I have a 371 for what this won't take care of...:chainsaw:

I wanted to see what the opinions out there were on the saw, as there were quite a few changes, but I did notice that the only reasons for said opinion came from those that own them currently (and like them...)
But I was contemplating selling the 55, and with the offer of trade, I was thinking the 455 might be an easier sell (general public like the latest and geatest it seems, etc.) :dizzy:

$$ is tight, and we could use some cash...:cry:

With that being said, any 'marketplace thoughts'?

Thanks guys.

my 55 is like new:
SNIP
opinions?

Jay

I think the fact that HE wants to trade his new saw for your old one is a clue. Now, why would a guy want to do that? I wonder what he's discovered running the 455 for a couple of hours? Not that I'm a 455 hater, I've got one and it's fine. But any saw can have problems. You know what you've got with your saw, not so with the other guy's.

Jack

SNIP
But I was contemplating selling the 55, and with the offer of trade, I was thinking the 455 might be an easier sell (general public like the latest and geatest it seems, etc.) :dizzy:

Thanks guys.

What do the two saws look like in ebay's completed auctions? If they guy isn't hiding something and you were going to sell the 55 anyway it might work out in your favor, but I dunno, your saw is in pretty good shape.

What do the two saws look like in ebay's completed auctions? If they guy isn't hiding something and you were going to sell the 55 anyway it might work out in your favor, but I dunno, your saw is in pretty good shape.

Good point...

I didn't think of that! :dizzy: this is why i'm here, to help others, and have others prevent the polish in me coming through...lol

Both saws are fine and I doubt there is any difference in performance but my buddy has a old 55 that is nice shape and it's hard to dispute that the build quality on the 55 was better than the 455. I do not think that you would ever notice the difference cutting firewood though. Still I would keep the 55.

I have both, and I like the 455 more because it has a decomp and primer bulb. The only flaw with either is in the summer months, they get hot and vapor locked when refueling. The primer on the 455 eliminates this problem. The 455 also seems to have a little higher top end. I took out a !/4 mile of fence row a few years ago and both earned their keep. Unless you are climbing or routinely cutting hardwoods over say 18", either one is a good choice. Just sayin....

John

so what I hear is

there is no real advantage to trade a 55 for a 455...

unless lots of money is also changing hands, in your favor, seems no reason to trade.

Thanks guys!

Thanks guys.
The 455, if its as pretty as your 55, would probably fetch 250 to 300 on ebay (I sold mine to my BIL for cheap 'cause he's my BIL, lol) and the 55 rancher would probably get $225 to $250, (I've sold several there for that) but you'd have to wait 'til September when ebay livens up. So yes, the 455 would be worth a little more.:)

I would keep them both if it was me. My buddy has an older 55 and I have a 02' 455. He always says his 55 is better and more reliable and I always say the the same stuff to him. Both are good running, quality saws and the only problem either of us have had was my buddy has broken the chainbreak handle on his 55 once, but that was from his own stupidity. I agree with SkippyKtm on the fact the 455 will fetch a little more money. That is if some hardcore Husky fans want to fight over the ole 55!!

I would keep them both if it was me. My buddy has an older 55 and I have a 02' 455. He always says his 55 is better and more reliable and I always say the the same stuff to him. Both are good running, quality saws and the only problem either of us have had was my buddy has broken the chainbreak handle on his 55 once, but that was from his own stupidity. I agree with SkippyKtm on the fact the 455 will fetch a little more money. That is if some hardcore Husky fans want to fight over the ole 55!!

Howdy Neighbor! Rep sent.

Last time i checked the 455 doesn't have the "tool less" chain tensioning system! The 455 is impressive versus the 55. Regarless of market if you are running more then a 16" bar the .325 preforms better (in this area and with our trees.......remember its only 53-55cc) on either the 455 or 55. Husqvarna hasn't offered and OEM rim sprocket set up for the 455 yet but oregon has then and hey guess what its only a bit before husky makes it an option as most of the sprockets are made by Oregon. Bonuses for the 455, the x-torq motor (lots more torque and lower fuel use), new design and air purge (you can pump that thing all day its not a primer as in it doesn't inject fuel into the carb, just gets gas and fresher gas circulating through the carb), a non cat muffler, carb screws that can still be tweaked with a screwdriver. The 55 is a great saw, been around for a dogs age, time to move on, or get one and keep it going for the next 20 years. All I can saw after running most every saw in the husky lineup made over the past 20 years is the x-torq once you get used to it is impressive, no more backing out of a cut, she just keeps on pulling. I can bog my 372 if i push her hard full bar cut in hard wood and stop the chain (had to try it), the 576 I can not, the 455 has this ssame torque advantge over the 55. Like running an old homelite that maxes at 6000rpm.........she just keeps cutting.

I have a 455. Most of the people who post bad stuff about them never lived with one for more than the time it takes to read and repost some supposed anti plastic bigot / expert opinion.

Its a very nice little saw for a wide range of cutting situations. Doesn't vibrate enough to notice and is very good on fuel...doesn't use much. I've run mine year around for about a year and a half. All temperatures all seasons from brush to felling 24inch diameter Ash & Maple trees. My only complaint is with the 20inch bar & chain which seems to be more prone to throwing its chain in the brush than the 16 and 18 inch bars I've used in the same situation on the same saw.
-
You're exactly right.
I love the 51-55 series of saws. They look like better build quality than the newer 455 but I'm not sure that matters in the real world. People that actually use 455 & 460's don't complain about them and very seldom read about any engine failures.

Back