Razor sharp tips on Rollamatic sprocket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatpikr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have worn 2 Rollamatic tips down to the point where it's almost impossible to touch the sprocket teeth as they come to a fine sharp point. What will eventually happen?? Chain skip? Should I round these tips off a little. How do you know when to pull the plug on a bar sprocket? I've never messed with a bar roller/sprocket. So, thought I'd ask for a little input. BTW- glad to be cutting wood again and glad to be back on Arborsite.

Mark

You might have your chain too tight. I would just replace it. I do have a stihl rollamatic bar that has the pointed sproket tip that came with a old 041 I have. But I don't use the bar enough to see if there if there is any damage using it that way.

Thanks for the reply

Thanks for the reply. Don't think my chain is too tight. I think it's because I cut cedar-- the bark is half dirt and sand. I'm just wondering what happens when the bar's sprocket teeth finally get too short?? Chain start to skip? Chain jumps off bar? I've never changed out a bar tip-- Rollamatic ES bar tips ain't cheap. I can get a new bar for only a little more money. Just thought it would be a hoot to try and change out a tip. Not sure how to do it though-- drill out the rivets? Guess if I get snowed in this Winter, I might give it a go.

I'm not sure what it would do. You drill out the rivits pull the sproket out. Stick the sproket in and the pin the new rivits down. Just use a ball pin hammer. and hit the rivit with the rounded part of the hammer. This is how I rivits my chains together. Works like a charm.

Back