REAL cylinder porting.....PICS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
forcing the oil through tiny holes is what makes a lot of the heat. I am going to throw it on the splitter today and hopefully use it. I had to use mostly 90° fittings because I was short on $$$ and dit not want anything to snag. They WILL get replaced by 45° or black street fittings which have a nice curve to them. I have seen a LOT of people use galvanized steel on hydraulics.......my dad even did it.....screwed his pump. BLACK PIPE ALL THE WAY!!!!!

Be very aware of pressures and ratings when using "black iron fittings".

http://www.indpipe.com/images/PDF/m...l_and_nipple_standards_and_specifications.pdf

They WILL get replaced by 45° or black street fittings which have a nice curve to them. I have seen a LOT of people use galvanized steel on hydraulics.......my dad even did it.....screwed his pump. BLACK PIPE ALL THE WAY!!!!!

I don't like the idea of using black pipe on hydraulics. Black pipe is rated at 700 psi (most of it, anyway). I have used a few bushings, but no elbo's etc. You can do what you want.

As for porting the cylinder, I had not thought of that. The ports are kinda small, considering the GPM trying to get thru there.

I just ran the splitter for a few minutes and had the pressure run up over 2200psi

and no leaks or noises....so far so good:biggrinbounce2: I still have to tweak the second stage cut in pressure though......kinda late switching over. I talked to my brother tonight and he said he dumped a bunch of water/gas/oil mix into the gas tank last year because he had no other place to put it.....i took the battery out of his cell phone for that....:angry2: I am going to drain it out tomorrow and put fresh gas in.....it misses a little.....have to adjust the governor too. Have to change the engine oil, and air filter. It goes through 8" hard birch sideways without a problem...like a razor. I will try other woods tomorrow. I have willow, popple, oak, elm, maple, and maybe 1 or 2 more.....have to look see. The biggest restriction now is the valve.....it will wait till summer. I am glad I have a 4" cylinder on this thing. It would be cool to have it go faster, but then I would have to work harder. I will see if my sife would want to run it since there is no detent on return :mad: That might be good though because if it retracts all the way the pusher foot hits the end of the cylinder and shears the bolt right off.....without even grunting :hmm3grin2orange: I also have to aim the exhaust UP instead of toward my power fitting.I am going to have some fun tomorrow.:hmm3grin2orange: anybody want to come over?

EDIT: will post pics

Last edited:
Pics

View attachment 125771
attachment.php

View attachment 125772
attachment.php

The filter flows real nice....

how many microns SHOULD I have on there? have not had any problems with it yet but it will probably plug faster......

My cylinder( tie bolt) has two ports on each end of cylinder.why not just put a tee in them and hook both together.Would this not make cylinder faster.My cylinder is new and has warranty on it and I dont want to mess with it until warranty is out.

that would work too.

would save some time too.....and some sore muscles.....the bolts on those thing are TIGHT!!!!

I don't like the idea of using black pipe on hydraulics. Black pipe is rated at 700 psi (most of it, anyway). I have used a few bushings, but no elbo's etc. You can do what you want.

As for porting the cylinder, I had not thought of that. The ports are kinda small, considering the GPM trying to get thru there.

You do realize that ANSI pipe psi ratings are typically very conservative? The burst psi is usually 4x the listed rating.

why would you use a crows foot???? why not a socket?

I've had good luck using a crowsfoot on a cordless impact driver.

I used a 2' breaker bar and cranked em off but they were VERY tight. I have a movie of me tapping them with a socket extension and them ringing like bells!!!! I used the vid to make sure I had close to the same torque when they went back together.

Last edited:
Cycle times!!!!!

at about low-med rpm the times are 8 seconds out and 6.5 seconds in. and WIDE OPEN is 5 seconds out and a little over 4 in. Not too shabby on a 4" cylinder.

I was recommending a crows foot on the fittings, where a normal open end wrench would normally be used. Six point socket on everything else. Sorry for the vagueness guys.

C'mon now Isaac,

Get on down to Eau Claire to Sears and buy yourself a nice set of Craftsman wrenches. Them chicom crescents will only hurt your equipment and your knuckles. You'd be amazed how much nicer it is fixing stuff when you have the right tools for the job.

I know they ain't cheap, and money is tight everywhere, but good tools are a once in a lifetime investment (unless they grow legs LOL). Stash away a twenty every week for a few months, then go buy a decent starter set, and add pieces as you need them later. Before you know it, you'll have a toolbox full of nice shiny, properly fitting tools.

Not trying to rib ya too hard, just passing along good advice I got a long time ago.

Splitter looks nice, but the retract problem ain't going away without some reworking. If you change the front cylinder mount over to use the clevis and pin, you'll lose some stroke, but it might solve your interference problem by itself, or you might just need to add and inch or two of cylinder depth stops to keep it clear. As it is now, the depth stop collars would keep the push plate off the cylinder, but would still shear the bolt pretty easily, I'm afraid.

Speaking of wrenches

Anyone ever hear of Mccaig and Hatch?? they were in Buffalo in the 40's (??) and turned out some mighty fine tools, I'm lucky to have some of their stuff and it is fantastic! Even have a chrome plated hammer.
I know pics...hang on.

attachment.php

looks like I spelled the name wrong..

That hammer's a thing of beauty! I just hope it doesn't have one of those $%^# waffle heads, those things are pure hell on a guy's nail holding hand fingers...

Perhaps that's why I like burning wood so much more than building stuff with it. That, and I'm from the school of measure once, cut, swear, weld it back together, measure again, cut again and wonder why the heck that project took so long LOL!

EDIT: Your hammer pic was pretty big, so I resized it for ya.

Last edited:
Thanks for the resize, I forgot, the shiny chrome distracted me!

Back