REAL cylinder porting.....PICS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isaaccarlson

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This is the power port on my new 4" cylinder....
View attachment 125631
attachment.php

this is before....
View attachment 125632
attachment.php

this is after....
View attachment 125633
attachment.php

and thats how you port a cylinder.....the return port is MUCH worse.....you cant get a #2 pencil in it.....it is next!!

Last edited:
yep...

even if there is another restriction somewhere else in the system, it will flow better. Betcha if everybody ported their cylinders (drilled for those with welded cylinders) we would see faster cycle times.:monkey::dizzy: This 4" should be as fast as that old 3.5" was....you should have seen the pinholes under those welded fittings!!! Probably could have cut cycle time by at least a third with this one. It also will not be bordering on switching to second stage when not under load. Wish I had before and after line pressures, but This thing is getting ported NOW. I already found out it was FULL OF OIL!!!!! WHEN I OPENED IT UP ON THE KITCHEN FLOOR.....

BIG thank you to Grandpatractor for helping me get this thing opened up!!!

I have worked on a million welded cylinders but never a bolted one.....THANK YOU!!!! Will rep you after 24 hours is up.....

I have seen them go down quite a bit....

I used to port the forklift cylinders at Menards. The boss always wondered what I was doing that took so long....until he drove a lift that I worked on....he loved it, then I was stuck working on lifts.....anyway, I cut some of the cycle times in half. It depends what kind of restriction is in there in the first place. Some are pretty good out of the box, others are terrible. It also depends what size lines/fitting you have and whether or not you use 90° or 45° fittings and what your pump and valve look like. I did not open up the pump at all because I was planning on splitting wood the next day, and just wanted it to work. Now I am rethinking that. It will probably get ported along with the spool valve when I change the oil. Just porting this cylinder will cut some time. I will likely shave a little more when I port the rest of the system.

the before pic was after I had done a little bit of work already...forgot to grab camera...:dizzy: Should see a pretty nice gain from this one.
Here is the return end before....
View attachment 125649
attachment.php

and after....
View attachment 125650
attachment.php

Last edited:
all done.....with the cylinder anyway

Just got done torquing the bolts. they have a nice ring to 'em when tapped on:cheers:
porting your splitter also saves you gas because the motor doesn't have to work as hard to pump the oil through little holes.....it just flows...

Last edited:
if it makes that much of an improvement, why would the factory not do that?

just curious.

I already found out it was FULL OF OIL!!!!! WHEN I OPENED IT UP ON THE KITCHEN FLOOR.....[/QUOTE]

and your still in the house????? :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

less time to drill shallower hole--less cost involved--the co makes more moola---if you look at old cyls[i rebuild them] the hole sizes are way diff---

it takes the same amount of time for a machine to drill a 3/8" hole as it would to drill a 1/2" hole.

there has to be a reason or a formula used when porting cylinders.

Last edited:
Thank you for bringing this topic up, I had forgot about all the fluid dynamic lessons my father had given me over the years. He worked for a company that made high pressure presses and filtration systems for brewing and wine making companies, they made most of their cylinders in house and "tweaked" everything to run faster, as I recall they never made a 90 degree turn and always ran hard stainless lines for fluid. I wish my dad wasn't 87 and he could still remember all his tricks.

Wow never even thought about that:yourock: The before pictures sure would cause a lot of turbulence in the oil and probably heat build up too!

Billy

improving flow will automatically reduce heat.

forcing the oil through tiny holes is what makes a lot of the heat. I am going to throw it on the splitter today and hopefully use it. I had to use mostly 90° fittings because I was short on $$$ and dit not want anything to snag. They WILL get replaced by 45° or black street fittings which have a nice curve to them. I have seen a LOT of people use galvanized steel on hydraulics.......my dad even did it.....screwed his pump. BLACK PIPE ALL THE WAY!!!!!

I am going to go eat breakfast and work on splitter....

and feed the geese and rabbits....:clap: I love critters.......especially with gravy. Some of my critters do not get eaten. Too special.

it takes the same amount of time for a machine to drill a 3/8" hole as it would to drill a 1/2" hole.

Only if your machine is designed to have a capacity of drilling 1 " holes. Obviously you do more work drilling a larger hole. 3 does not equal 4.

Area = pi x radius squared.

The amount of material removed from a 1/2" hole is about 90 percent greater than that removed from a 3/8" hole.

People get paid big bucks to find every little corner that can be cut.

I have basically the same new cyliinder that I mounted on my splitter I intend to port it tomorrow.I am going to time mine and see how much difference it makes before and after...

3/8" drills are cheaper and a smaller hole takes less power to drill, which means it can be done on a smaller machine, which means capital outlay is less which means the company makes more money.

Mr. HE:cool:

Latest posts

Back