Really really really want a tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well good luck with your decision, it's not easy that's for sure.
For the backhoe do you have specific plans to dig footings for an upcoming structure or just do a lot digging in general?

I wanna clear out the side of my property line that has all kinda vine thorn crap growing everywhere. My porch needs new footings. Well all the decking should be replaced as well. I’d like to dig up my cement walkway get rid of it all together and expand the driveway. I could put my gutter drainage under ground. The Wife has been relentless about a fence for the dogs. I don’t really want to do that but we’ll see. I could be wrong but I feel like the backhoe with a mechanical thumb would work really well for picking up logs to buck them up too. There’s a few other things I wanna do. Do I need a backhoe? No, do I need a tractor? No, I’ve been getting along without it so far. I’m sure a subcompact with loader and forks would be awesome.

a little tractor might fit in my storage box with my log splitter if I take everything else out. Otherwise I’m gonna have to get a tent or something for it. I wish I had more land as I want to up my firewood game and that takes up space. As does a giant tent.

If you are taking a hard look at the GC series of subcompacts I would say you can't go wrong with them, I like them a lot actually.

If you end up settling on a subcompact it will do everything you are looking to accomplish it just might take a little longer than having a larger unit and you won't be working with as large of a trunk or concrete. Knowing and accepting that fact up front will keep everything in perspective.

As many have said larger is better, but not in every instance, and having asked on a forum you get conflicting opinions. The opinion that matters most is yours and any input you get from the boss. Something to take into consideration is would she feel comfortable operating a subcompact over a compact or larger assuming she will be assisting with any of the tasks you hope to accomplish.

Anywho I am a fan of the Massey line which is one of the reasons I recommended Goff's in an earlier post, though I'm sure there may be others closer to you. I have accepted the fact of the limitations of a subcompact and figure if and when the time comes that I need to move up in size I will do so at that time.

Best of luck with your decision, it's never easy and even more difficult when taking varying opinions into account.

If you are taking a hard look at the GC series of subcompacts I would say you can't go wrong with them, I like them a lot actually.

If you end up settling on a subcompact it will do everything you are looking to accomplish it just might take a little longer than having a larger unit and you won't be working with as large of a trunk or concrete. Knowing and accepting that fact up front will keep everything in perspective.

As many have said larger is better, but not in every instance, and having asked on a forum you get conflicting opinions. The opinion that matters most is yours and any input you get from the boss. Something to take into consideration is would she feel comfortable operating a subcompact over a compact or larger assuming she will be assisting with any of the tasks you hope to accomplish.

Anywho I am a fan of the Massey line which is one of the reasons I recommended Goff's in an earlier post, though I'm sure there may be others closer to you. I have accepted the fact of the limitations of a subcompact and figure if and when the time comes that I need to move up in size I will do so at that time.

Best of luck with your decision, it's never easy and even more difficult when taking varying opinions into account.

im sure the mrs would feel more comfortable with the subcompact. There’s so many variables. My Massey dealer isn’t responding to me so I dunno what that’s about lol. Worst case I can buy it from Bruno’s power sports and they ship it to me. It’s still actually cheaper if I do it that way. They sell bobcat too but he was told 4 months before he’ll get anymore. I can wait a little while if need be as I’m not planning to use it to move snow at all so there’s no immediate need. If I got something now it would have to sleep outside if it didn’t fit in my storage box. At least till I could put up a tent after winter.

I bought a Sa424 Tlb 2 years ago. Its not a skid steer or mini ex but it gets the job done just takes longer kind a like a swiss army knife it can do everything just don't rush it. Only down side to this machine is the lack of skid steer quick attach , but you can buy a kit or make 1 if you need it. Since getting mine I now have a box blade, york rake , post hole digger , small grapple and pallet forks. Its addicting looking at attachments and upgrades lol. I bought mine from west end power in danbury ct and was a great experience. No haggling gave me a good price and the zero financing wife was skeptical but now loves it. She get flower beds and tress planted quickly :) . I use mine more than the lawn mower and never touch the wheel barrow anymore. Firewood, brush, garden, put in a pool and patio got the yard nice its a long list. I don't think you would regret any compact tractor as long as you know the limitations they have.

I wanna clear out the side of my property line that has all kinda vine thorn crap growing everywhere. My porch needs new footings. Well all the decking should be replaced as well. I’d like to dig up my cement walkway get rid of it all together and expand the driveway. I could put my gutter drainage under ground. The Wife has been relentless about a fence for the dogs. I don’t really want to do that but we’ll see. I could be wrong but I feel like the backhoe with a mechanical thumb would work really well for picking up logs to buck them up too. There’s a few other things I wanna do. Do I need a backhoe? No, do I need a tractor? No, I’ve been getting along without it so far. I’m sure a subcompact with loader and forks would be awesome.

a little tractor might fit in my storage box with my log splitter if I take everything else out. Otherwise I’m gonna have to get a tent or something for it. I wish I had more land as I want to up my firewood game and that takes up space. As does a giant tent.
Oh there's no doubt you NEED a tractor and in my nearly 30 years experience owning some, the front end loader will be a game changer for anyone that never had one. You will never regret the front end loader addition unless you ruin a prized spit window 63 Corvette with it.
Viny crap = a light grapple rake will work good on that and one would be surpised how well a 3 pt box scraper with heavy tines will do
Backhoe for bucking logs = it would work but forks on a 3 pt would too, just cheaper
Decking replacement = FEL with forks can help move the new wood to and fro as well as help in demo'ing the old deck
Fence for dogs = Rear PTO with 3 pt auger work really well for pole installation.
Backhoe for footings = it'll dig faster than you and me together

I think everyone in the thread is looking fwd to seeing what you come up with.

Oh there's no doubt you NEED a tractor and in my nearly 30 years experience owning some, the front end loader will be a game changer for anyone that never had one. You will never regret the front end loader addition unless you ruin a prized spit window 63 Corvette with it.
Viny crap = a light grapple rake will work good on that and one would be surpised how well a 3 pt box scraper with heavy tines will do
Backhoe for bucking logs = it would work but forks on a 3 pt would too, just cheaper
Decking replacement = FEL with forks can help move the new wood to and fro as well as help in demo'ing the old deck
Fence for dogs = Rear PTO with 3 pt auger work really well for pole installation.
Backhoe for footings = it'll dig faster than you and me together

I think everyone in the thread is looking fwd to seeing what you come up with.

the Massey dealer got two 1725mb’s yesterday. I didn’t have the time after work to go check them out and we’re getting a bit of a blizzard today in Connecticut. Hopefully Friday I can head down after work. Next Saturday will be worst case. My wife wants me to get the small tractor with the backhoe instead of the bigger tractor without the backhoe. That’s not the deciding factor but I’m keeping it in mind.

the stories of first time tiny tractor buyers who buy an undersized machine are rampant. I have been watching you go there, imo.

that little massey has very limited capability. Like sad, really. Especially the hoe attachment.

what kind of ground do you have to dig. If it's at all hard, you will be ****ed.

so, so many first-time tractor buyers are disappointed with the true capabilities of their tiny tractor because they bought too small. They are forced to "upgrade" to something bigger. It is not an "upgrade", it simply means that they overestimated the capabilities of the original machine due to inexperience and lots of times, budget.

that 17 series massey, while cute, has very low lifting specs at both ends (sad, actually). Keep in mind that you don't want to operate at the max, as a rule. You should be looking at about 2/3 of those #'s as a generally safe weight unless you are on perfectly smooth, level ground. The pivoting front axle of a tractor of any size changes everything wrt to safety on uneven ground. One little hole will dump that little thing upside down in an instant. Anyway...

my take, fwiw (nothing); buy the 18 series without a hoe. Make sure you get a quick attach front AND back. You can buy a lot of useful attachments for the price of that cheesy little hoe on the 17 series. You will most likely end up using the hoe as ballast more than anything (lousy, shaky, too high ballast at that).

Rent a hoe, or even hire one for the larger jobs. A good operator with a proper hoe will do 100 times more 100 times faster 100 times better. This from a guy who can run some things...

your wife will feel WAY safer on the heavier-duty machine. The 1725 is a dinky toy compared to the 18 series, which is a genuine tiny tractor. The 17 series are closer to riding mowers than they are to tractors, imo.

be careful in your purchasing decision. If you want a tractor, buy a TRACTOR, not a toy. The capabilities are night and day.

Just do us all who are afraid for your choice a favour, look at the 18 too...

anywho, good luck with whatever you decide!!

buying nearly anything these days is an agonizing pita because of all the information available. I feel your pain, lol.

Your massey dealer not calling you back; strike one...

me, I would take the cheaper price option almost every time (Within reason). If the local dealer can't come very close on price, then look elsewhere. Remember, the warranty is a manufacturer's warranty, not a dealer's warranty.

the Massey dealer got two 1725mb’s yesterday. I didn’t have the time after work to go check them out and we’re getting a bit of a blizzard today in Connecticut. Hopefully Friday I can head down after work. Next Saturday will be worst case. My wife wants me to get the small tractor with the backhoe instead of the bigger tractor without the backhoe. That’s not the deciding factor but I’m keeping it in mind.
In case you haven't read over this thread on tractor net. Looks like a review on similar model couple years ago. I just read a couple pgs and didn't check out his YT post.
https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/threads/bought-a-new-massey-ferguson-1735m.417858/

Is that carabineer strong enough to connect the chain to the tongs?

Those are not carabiners in the links I posted. Those are forged chain links. So yes. Absolutely.

I kinda doubt if that dinky carabiner in the posted picture is up to the challenge, however. It's probably a known failure waiting for an opportunity to present itself.

My new Yanmar was delivered right before the ice/snow storm hit. I didn't have time to make chains for it but did make a weight bar to add some ballast to the 3 point hitch. It came with loaded rear tires and didn't feel light in the rear but nothing here is flat so I'm liking a little more weight out back for bucket work.
I don't have enough time on it to report very much. So far I'm finding it a very capable machine for the size. It has excellent hydraulic response and lift capacity. It also responds instantly in forward or reverse in either range, no moaning or groaning in protest unlike several much more expensive tractors I tested while shopping for one.

Overall I'm quite pleased so far, but I'll have to spend a LOT more time with it find out the capabilities and limitations..........IMG_3509.jpgIMG_3513.jpg

My new Yanmar was delivered right before the ice/snow storm hit. I didn't have time to make chains for it but did make a weight bar to add some ballast to the 3 point hitch. It came with loaded rear tires and didn't feel light in the rear but nothing here is flat so I'm liking a little more weight out back for bucket work.
I don't have enough time on it to report very much. So far I'm finding it a very capable machine for the size. It has excellent hydraulic response and lift capacity. It also responds instantly in forward or reverse in either range, no moaning or groaning in protest unlike several much more expensive tractors I tested while shopping for one.

Overall I'm quite pleased so far, but I'll have to spend a LOT more time with it find out the capabilities and limitations..........View attachment 962502View attachment 962503
You have a little lettuce in your teeth....

If your wife is going to be using the machine put her in the seat of a few and have her drive each around a little. Tell the salesmen the truth. She is buying the tractor. You may get a different perspective from each of the different salesmen. I'm guessing she would not like using a machine with a backhoe mounted on it. Just guessing.
When we stopped in to buy a backpack blower the salesman all but ignored Margaret focusing his introduction on me. I smiled, and said she is buying it. Take it outside and and have her start it for herself, because I'm not starting it every time she needs it. Made that mistake with a weed whacker.

If your wife is going to be using the machine put her in the seat of a few and have her drive each around a little. I'm not starting it every time she needs it. Made that mistake with a weed whacker.
When my daughter moved to the property next to us, I went out and bought a nice used JD 855 with a loader as a gift.
She happened to be at our house when the dealer drove up with the tractor on a deck-over trailer.

I told my daughter to climb up there, and back the tractor off,, I thought her husband was gonna die!!
She did it,, that was when I was sure I had picked the right one,,

Even the driver for the dealer was a little shocked that she could do it,, BUT,,
I had her driving some sort of engine driven machine since she was three,,,

If your wife is going to be using the machine put her in the seat of a few and have her drive each around a little. Tell the salesmen the truth. She is buying the tractor. You may get a different perspective from each of the different salesmen. I'm guessing she would not like using a machine with a backhoe mounted on it. Just guessing.
When we stopped in to buy a backpack blower the salesman all but ignored Margaret focusing his introduction on me. I smiled, and said she is buying it. Take it outside and and have her start it for herself, because I'm not starting it every time she needs it. Made that mistake with a weed whacker.

my wife wants me to get the backhoe for sure. She’s not interested in test driving any of them. She did do sit on the ls but no one was at the dealer. To her their all the same and trusts that I’ll make a good decision. She may drive it around a little but it’s one of those things I’ll just have to see what happens.

I did get a chance to play with the Massey 1725m Saturday. It’s a very nice machine. I liked it a lot. Backhoe went in and off super easy. It had a quick attach bucket. I measured it and it will fit in my storage box. That’s a big plus cuse I don’t have to come up with another storage solution. He’s supposed to get yanmars in in a week or two. I think that little Massey would suit me just fine. I just gotta decide if I “need” to jump up to the compact sized tractor.

Absolutely and for sure spend some time with anything you plan on purchasing. I took several tractors off my list after testing them.
Most Youtube videos weren't all that helpful, some were actually difficult to watch, seems like every suburbanite on the planet wants to be a Youtube hero............

I bought kx treeshears grapple a year ago and so far so good. It can't be used for anything heavy but on the bright side it's very light to use with my tractor. Can cut and collect smaller woods easily but not sure how much maintenance it will need.

Back