Reasonable offer for MS660?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I won't pay list price either. The last 660 I bought was $995.

I've been quoted $997 here.... brandy new with full warranty. No way I'd pay a grand for a used saw.

(PS I've never bought anything from the shop that gave me the quote)

Looks like a $750 saw to me, as long as it is as nice as it was described.

Last edited:
Picked up my 066 for $250 gently used and I just passed on a low hour 660 for $300 due to lack of funds. $500 seems to be the average price of a used 660 in my parts with a 36 or 32 inch bar and that is all day long price, some ask more but they sit on the CL for months.

I've been quoted $997 here.... brandy new with full warranty. No way I'd pay a grand for a used saw.

(PS I've never bought anything from the shop that gave me the quote)

Looks like a $750 saw to me, as long as it is as nice as it was described.

The guy selling the saw is trying to make a profit. He isnt cutting one tree with it so he can lose money. It's a $900 saw. If ya don't like it, go buy a new one.

The guy selling the saw is trying to make a profit. He isnt cutting one tree with it so he can lose money. It's a $900 saw. If ya don't like it, go buy a new one.

A used saw is a used saw. Full stop. If you want to get new saw prices for your stuff, you sell a new saw, not a used one. Don't like it, keep it.

If you bought a new 660 with the sole purpose of reselling after cutting one tree what would you ask?

Honestly i would find the best possible deal on a used one ......... run it and then resell it. i would probably ask for what i paid or even more (if it was worth it). I wouldnt buy new because once they are used the price always drops.....

I bought a 660 one time and used it for 2 seasons then sold it for the same money BUT it was in great shape before and after and i sold it for the going rate 650$.

I bought a 660R last december for 975$ brand new 24'' b/c with a waranty

Why in the world would someone pay 900-1000 for something used when it costs 1000-1100 new??!! ESPECIALLY a chainsaw!

Id say give him a little knowledge on how the world goes around

Next time he tells you he wants a $1000 ask him how much HE paid for it lol

I disagree. Once you use anything even once, the price drops. That, plus losing the warranty, would drop at least 200 bucks IMO.

If you bought a new 660 with the sole purpose of reselling after cutting one tree what would you ask?

If I bought a saw, any saw, with the express purpose of cutting one tree and then reselling the saw I might be dumb enough to ask a nearly new price.

But I didn't and I'm not and I won't.

The fact is, that saw is worth what the buyer will pay for it, and what the seller will take for it. It will find a home, and it would be interesting to know what it brings.

My father told me long, long ago that a used item, of durable value, in very good shape, was appx. worth 2/3 new. That has proved to be a useful adage, but not 100% true.

I like the example of dirt track stock car tires. "Money'd" teams would sell their once-used tires for half price. "Poorer" teams bought 'em 'cause it was all they could afford. If you look at it from the end, both parties payed the same for tires, and the ones that bought them new got the "good part" out of them.

The fact is, that saw is worth what the buyer will pay for it, and what the seller will take for it.

There it is. Is the saw worth $1,000? Maybe it is. But I would not pay that for it. I would go $750. Or maybe to $800. IF, and only if, I really needed the saw.

I disagree. Once you use anything even once, the price drops. That, plus losing the warranty, would drop at least 200 bucks IMO.

I dissagree with the warranty loss dropping the value $200. The pro is gonna buy new, he wants a warranty. The guy heating his house is gonna buy a used 660. He won't need the warranty on that saw because it won't be used enough. Especially if he knows how to take care of saw.

I dissagree with the warranty loss dropping the value $200. The pro is gonna buy new, he wants a warranty. The guy heating his house is gonna buy a used 660. He won't need the warranty on that saw because it won't be used enough. Especially if he knows how to take care of saw.

Well we can agree to disagree. I dont buy a saw and worry about a warrenty either way. the muffler and the base gasket were out of my saw before it was ever fired up BUT..... How do you know how that saw was ran? if he ran good fuel? did he mix the oil right? and so on and so forth. it would suck to buy a used saws at new price and have something happen a week after you bought it.

The same theory goes for trucks. you wouldnt buy a used truck for 1k less than a new one would you if it had 8000 miles on it? i wouldnt.

I don't follow your logic at all. If he doesn't need the warranty, then he shouldn't pay for it either.

A used saw is a used saw. Full stop. If you want to get new saw prices for your stuff, you sell a new saw, not a used one. Don't like it, keep it.

Space you crack me up. That saw is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it, simply as that. I'd lay money he gets 900-950.00 for it which is why he's asking a grand. That gives him some wiggle room when the buyer trys to talk him down. What he paid for it doesn't matter, its what he wants for it and what the buyer is willing to pay.

I once bought a 1997 066, paid 750.00 brand new. Hardly used it, sold it a few years later for 750.00. 10 yrs after that I bought it back from the man I sold to for 500.00, he had hardly used it either. A year or so later a saw buff comes in looking for a late model 066 square back. I told him I had one. He said bring it in so he could look it over. I did. He says thats exactly what I'm looking for. Guess what I got for it, yup, 750.00. Everything is worth to the buyer what he is willing to pay for it...

Back