Rebuilding a Stihl 034, should I try it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They all should have that rubber bumper on them. Keeps the cover from rattling.

Alright, I'll post a pic later. Is there anything else I should do while awaiting the mighty vac?

Thank you all for your help so far!

One other think to think about is stihl did a clutch drum upgrade on the 034/036 saws. You can get the kit from stihl, it uses a larger bearing.

Something to consider if you have to replace any of those parts. Inspect the bearing, crank surface and inside bearing surface on clutch drum

I had a bearing go on one of my 036. I'm thankful it did not damage the crank surface

clutchg upgrade sm.jpg

I'm seen multiple failures on those bigger bearings on 362s. They were used hard, but when I replaced them the plastic cages just felt cheap. Maybe on the 034/036 they hold up better.

SteveSr let me know if I can pay you to send me a set of the stuff referenced in your pictures for vacuum test.

Just use an old bicycle inner tube or hardware store rubber plate.

This is what I found under big screw:

View attachment 749159

The screen looks clean so it didn't die from a restricted fuel intake.

BTW, the rebuild kit for that carburetor is a Zama RB-32 which is NLA. There is some NOS on Ebay, however -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-ZA...VQAAOSwEzxYR4DI:sc:USPSFirstClass!27513!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ZAMA-R...~4AAOSwLahaxW-O:sc:USPSFirstClass!27513!US!-1

Note that these kits are pre-ethanol mandate so they aren't rated for/may not stand up to ethanol gas.

Lots of genuine RB-32s out there for cheap as Steve pointed out. Don't let the whole ethanol thing bother you. You'll soon learn you don't want to run it anyway.

Alright I'll look into that kit for the carb. No brainer that I need to redo that, right? I won't be working on it much this weekend guys it's my anniversary but thanks for the help thus far.

I ordered the genuine carb kit, thanks a lot for the link that helps me out a lot. The pump came in but I don't have any old bike tubes handy gotta pick something up next time I'm in town. Attached is a picture of the top of jug looks to be of the 46mm variety according to pictures up top. Really thought it measured 48 I'll have to double check. 20190729_190310.jpg

Ok I blocked off ports last night, but had to pick up hose reducer today so I'll test tonight. Broke e clip on clutch when I was taking it off:(20190730_204315.jpg 20190730_200118.jpg 20190730_202334.jpg 20190730_203240.jpg

Back