rebuilding/upgrade husqvarna 61 rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my buddy gave me his 61 to fix and get running. I would like to upgrade saw in the process. I'm thinking a 272xp p/c with carb.
View attachment 305218View attachment 305219
any advice I receive before I start to purchase parts will b appreciated. Thx

keep us posted on this one, I have one too, but im having trouble with
the walbro ws carb on mine and would like to swap it out for the tillotson
carb that came onthat year as an alternative
good luck

keep us posted on this one, I have one too, but im having trouble with
the walbro ws carb on mine and would like to swap it out for the tillotson
carb that came onthat year as an alternative
good luck

I definitely will.
Looking at a new muff on eBay now for 30.00 !!

Don't fret troll. One more wont hurt!

No it won't, but he may get info faster that way! :msp_wink:

Anyway, that 61 is a very early one - so it definately needs a larger carb than it came with, in addition to the top end and intake. Then there is the question of mounting a suitable top cover, or modify the original.

Keep in mind that I am no expert on this, there are others on here that know more about it.

Last edited:
Niko do you know what the # on the carb is?

The early carb was the HS-163, the later one on the 266 HS-224. The later one on the 61 was the HS-254 (from 1991). Regarding 268/272, most used the HS-260, but a the earliest ones had the HS-234.

All those carbs have a 17.5 mm verturi, except the HS-163, that is smaller.
I don't know all the differenses between the other carbs, but at least some of it has to do with the intake/impulse style.

The early carb was the HS-163, the later one on the 266 HS-224. The later one on the 61 was the HS-254 (from 1991). Regarding 268/272, most used the HS-260, but a the earliest ones had the HS-234.

All those carbs have a 17.5 mm verturi, except the HS-163, that is smaller.
I don't know all the differenses between the other carbs, but at least some of it has to do with the intake/impulse style.

Just checked mine the verturi on mine is 18mm.

Latest posts

Back