Rebuilt 066 wont start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troy Linard

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well in the ongoing saga of this rebuild. That part is done i think. I used all stihl parts were i could and quality repos were i could also ie meteor piston,aftermarket dual port muffler bearings and a good used stihl replacement cyl w/o decompression valve as the original was shot. The coil is aftermarket but puts out alot of spaark when i ground the spark plug to the top of cyl. And theres plenty of fuel maybe to much as i have it seeping out the muffler onto to saw. I didnt rebuild the carb as of yet. I can and will but was at least tring to hear her run for the first time as it wasnt running and had 50psi of compression before rebuild. The carb hasnt been adjusted by me. But doesnt mean the previous owner hadnt. Any thought.

Aftermarket coil is questionable. Not rebuilding the carb after rebuilding the entire saw is irresponsible. Not adjusting the carb at all is silly. At least baseline it per Stihl.

It's just flooded.
The am coils are good
If it doesn't have limiters on the carb and it shouldn't so set them 1 and 1

How much assembly oil did you use?

Pull the plug and let it sit a while then use a different plug and with no choke hold it wfo and start it

I used lithium greese on the cyl. I pulled carb pulled the carb apart and used carb and choke cleaner to clean it pulled the low and high needles out and cleaned them,pulled the inlet needle out cleaned it aswell. Gaskets looked good not hard like being old or dried out. The low and high our noe set at 1 along with idle.

Not sure how long it had set. Put new fuel oil mix in it. Has fuel to carb gravity wise. I pulled plug and left it sit for the day turned it over a couple times to make sure it was cleaned out will be tring it after work today.

Its alive. Motor wouldnt rev easily at 1 turn out on carb settings. Turned them out another 1/4 turn and now it revs nicely. Thanks everyone for helping with this saw. This web page really helps us new to the hobby.

Yes they our. Really nice quality. Bolted right up no fitment issues like the post clamed was possible with the early model 066s like this flat top.

Your referring to a chain catcher to bolt the 2 felling dawgs together at the bottom. No to that part. Not sure what the AM work ok is referring to thou.

Yep. There's a roller-type chain catcher that goes between the two dawgs. It is there to catch the chain if it comes off of the bar. It's a lot better than the aluminum versions when the saw is used for noodling.

The AM refers to "aftermarket." Some of them are plastic but work quite well.

Back