Rebuilt carb on 020AVP, High Speed Screw Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfpcservice

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have an old Stihl 020AVP that I got from my Grandpa. I was cutting wood with the saw a couple days ago when it sped up like it was running out of gas and then died. I found a good spark, changed to new fuel, have already replaced the ignition module, new fuel pick up hose, and changed the spark plug for good measure. The saw still wouldn't run so I decided to rebuild the carb since I hadn't done that yet.

I got the kit for the walbro wa series and replaced each gasket and diaphram with the matching one in the kit. I replaced the metering needle and adjusted the metering needle lever as described in the WA series manual. I just got my saw running today and found that it runs great at idle and at cutting speed with the high speed screw all the way closed which I don't think is the way it should be. The WA series manual does mention a "high speed fixed" and states the needle is eliminated, but I'm assuming that applies to a different carb without the needle at all.

I did notice the circuit plate gasket was missing two holes that the original had. I installed it as it came assuming the holes weren't necessary on the original.

Has anyone messed with these enough to tell me whats up? Any help is appreciated!

Hey Guys,

I have an old Stihl 020AVP that I got from my Grandpa. I was cutting wood with the saw a couple days ago when it sped up like it was running out of gas and then died. I found a good spark, changed to new fuel, have already replaced the ignition module, new fuel pick up hose, and changed the spark plug for good measure. The saw still wouldn't run so I decided to rebuild the carb since I hadn't done that yet.

I got the kit for the walbro wa series and replaced each gasket and diaphram with the matching one in the kit. I replaced the metering needle and adjusted the metering needle lever as described in the WA series manual. I just got my saw running today and found that it runs great at idle and at cutting speed with the high speed screw all the way closed which I don't think is the way it should be. The WA series manual does mention a "high speed fixed" and states the needle is eliminated, but I'm assuming that applies to a different carb without the needle at all.

I did notice the circuit plate gasket was missing two holes that the original had. I installed it as it came assuming the holes weren't necessary on the original.

Has anyone messed with these enough to tell me whats up? Any help is appreciated!

Sounds to me like you have the diaphragm lever set too high. That would give your symptoms.

Sihnce your needle is not eliminated, obviously (from here) you don't have a fixed-jet carb. :D

Latest posts

Back