&%$@ Recoil! This is one tough cookie

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmosabi

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Stupidly, I agreed to try and fix a relatives Homelite 330. Needless to say, I wont be bringing one of these in my house again. I love my XL2, but this thing is a major PINA just to get apart. I've put it back together, but I cant for the life of me recoil the spring and get it in the VERY tight spot it needs to be. Does anyone have a trick to make this easy?

Either wind the spring in your hands and then clamp it with a needle nose vise-grip then install it. Or start the outside of the spring in the housing and slowly wind the rest of the spring in. With the second method it's easier to take the starter pulley, rope, and handle away from the housing.

I'm not famillar with that saw. From memory, in case it is similar, on the little XL's the starter pulley has a small notch on the edge, with the rope installed in the pulley take the free end up through that notch and use it like a handle to wind up the spring, then stick the free rope end back out the housing.

Latest posts

Back