Recommendation for Splitter...max 20 cord/yr

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have a DR Rapidfire? Seems it's the same as the supersplitter but they have a cheaper 22ton option for $1199 and free shipping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not the same as a Super Split. lol... There's a long DR thread in the 'stickies' at the top of the page.

The 22T Surge Master/Wallenstein H/V at HD is a very good unit also. I got mine used a couple years ago, looked like it had quite a lot of use on it but it still works flawlessly. The new ones have improvements over mine - like better & more secure hose routing. Key things I like about it, are that the control lever is up high front & centre & very easy to use from either side, and the motor & pump are fairly out of the way away from the business end. Very well built with a Honda engine. I would like it to have a bit more ground clearance, and also larger wheels, but that's only because I tow it with the ATV into pretty tight places over some rather rough ground. I cobbled up a cradle I can move from side to side just by pulling off one side & sticking on the other. Very happy with it.

Anyone have a DR Rapidfire? Seems it's the same as the supersplitter but they have a cheaper 22ton option for $1199 and free shipping
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got the bigger (75lbs) DR with a table. Works great for me and FAST!

There are many responses to the "which splitter" question which go like this: "Cuts through wood like butter!" or " Drives right through the gnarliest knots!" of "It's got the Honda engine." Let's consider some other things. How high is the splitting beam? I want to bend over as little as possible. What is the warranty and who is going to honor it? Read carefully the warranty. Where is the engine mounted on the splitter? Some are thoughtfully mounted away from the falling wood. Others are mounted under the work area and stand a good chance of being dinged up. Speaking of engines, I personally believe that they'll all last a lifetime if they're taken of. How much tonnage do I need? Well, if you're splitting mostly well-seasoned soft wood (I am), then a lesser tonnage machine will be adequate and both less expensive and easier to move around. In addition, many 22 ton splitters share the same hydraulic pump as it's larger 27 ton sibling. What this means is that the same pump pushing a smaller hydraulic cylinder in the 22 ton model will have cycle times 4-5 seconds faster than the larger splitter. Lastly, I like to support American-made manufacturers, so I look at everything from the hitch coupler to the hoses to see what parts are made here. So having said all this and considered all these factors (warranty, motor placement, working height, tonnage requirements, cycle times, portability and most-American parts) I chose an Ariens 22 ton splitter from HD. Maybe you should take a look.

The 22T Surge Master/Wallenstein H/V at HD is a very good unit also. I got mine used a couple years ago, looked like it had quite a lot of use on it but it still works flawlessly. The new ones have improvements over mine - like better & more secure hose routing. Key things I like about it, are that the control lever is up high front & centre & very easy to use from either side, and the motor & pump are fairly out of the way away from the business end. Very well built with a Honda engine. I would like it to have a bit more ground clearance, and also larger wheels, but that's only because I tow it with the ATV into pretty tight places over some rather rough ground. I cobbled up a cradle I can move from side to side just by pulling off one side & sticking on the other. Very happy with it.

I can't find the SurgeMaster on the HD website, maybe it is location dependent of they don't sell them any more.

Been pretty happy with DHT 22T...split some big uglies with it yesterday.

I don't know how old this thread is but I'm chiming in. My 2 cents: you get much more production and less back ache with a hydro splitter if you:
don't let the ram fully retract every time, have log cradles on the beam, use good sized rounds (flat side up)on both sides of the beam like a table (these vids drive me nuts seeing splits falling all over the place and the user bending over all the time picking up the pieces) and use pulp hooks when loading grabbing partial splits.

I've never used an SS they look like good production machines but I'd kill my self trying to get heavy gnarly rounds loaded up on the deck.

If you listen to the TW it sounds and moving like its at half throttle, the guy needs to power up to close the gap and show an accurate comparison.

I can't find the SurgeMaster on the HD website, maybe it is location dependent of they don't sell them any more.

Been pretty happy with DHT 22T...split some big uglies with it yesterday.

Huh - guess it's just HD Canada (.ca) that has them. I was sure I saw them on the US HD (.com) site before, but I guess I was wrong.

I think out of the HD US offerings the Ariens 27t has my eye first. Most of all the rest have the engine too close to the work area for my liking.

I don't know how old this thread is but I'm chiming in. My 2 cents: you get much more production and less back ache with a hydro splitter if you:
don't let the ram fully retract every time, have log cradles on the beam, use good sized rounds (flat side up)on both sides of the beam like a table (these vids drive me nuts seeing splits falling all over the place and the user bending over all the time picking up the pieces) and use pulp hooks when loading grabbing partial splits.

I've never used an SS they look like good production machines but I'd kill my self trying to get heavy gnarly rounds loaded up on the deck.

Maybe a ramp from the pickup bed to the splitter table?

Besides that I don't know. Only gas splitter I ever used had a heavy duty log lift to it.

Why is it no one makes a hydraulic splitter for tall people ? :)
They DO, mines adjustable for tall or short people!

Raise or lower the 3 point where ever you want it!

standard.jpg

SR

I thought about a 3pth model but I don't have adequate hyd flow and would need to add a PTO pump. Plus, why put the hours on an expensive engine when little replacement gas engines are a dime-a-dozen and plus it ties up the tractor- good reason to buy a second tractor but I just don't have the land to justify it at this time.

I thought about a 3pth model but I don't have adequate hyd flow and would need to add a PTO pump. Plus, why put the hours on an expensive engine when little replacement gas engines are a dime-a-dozen and plus it ties up the tractor- good reason to buy a second tractor but I just don't have the land to justify it at this time.
The LAST thing I worry about is putting hrs on my tractor, a homeowner won't live long enough to wear one out!!

And they are made for "continuous duty" just slooowly sipping diesel, as long as you aren't max'ing it out all the time.

SR

To each their own, if it works for you then its what you need. with that said, bring your SS to my house and let me set one of those 48"dia Maple rounds on it and then do your bragging. If i was doing pecker poles all the time, I would like the SS too. But I aint and I dont

Latest posts

Back